Yeah, I'd used Chrome before on my laptop (before I reinstalled everything this time) and it seemed ok but I was only using it when I needed separate browsers and most of my stuff was done in Firefox.
But the other day when I used it after uninstalling Firefox, it was so slow as to be nearly unusable - everytime I switched tabs, they were blank and seemed like they needed to load the content again, which was very frustrating. But I hadn't experienced that before.
Speccy says I have 2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 266MHz (4-4-4-12).
You may need more RAM. My laptop has Vista on it; it originally had 2 GB of RAM but I had to upgrade it to 4 GB.
I've bought mine from crucial https://www.crucial.com/ they have a program that can tell you what you need to buy.
The browsers are getting harder on the computer depending on some specifications. Whenever I have to run Chrome on the Windows XP desktop I have it grumbles horribly (it only has 2.5 GB of RAM). Firefox is also hard on that computer; if I didn't have CCleaner to clean up all the files, it would be unusable!
So it's taken me a while to reply but in that time I decided to try starting again from the beginning with another clean Vista install in case I'd done something wrong the first time.
I've done all of the following:
- installed all the Windows updates
- scanned using Avast
- scanned using Malwarebytes
- used Disk Cleaner
- defragged the C drive using Defraggler
- used CCleaner to get rid of the rubbish files and also clean the registry
- downloaded Slim Drivers and updated the drivers it said were outdated (it found 23 but after installing some, it then said they were all ok - I didn't have to update 23)
Unfortunately, I then noticed that the Windows Experience Score said it needed updating as there was new hardware but it wouldn't complete properly. The error said something about it could be down to drivers so I thought it was maybe because I'd used Slim Drivers to update the drivers. So I restored the laptop to a point before I installed Slim Drivers and checked that the Windows Experience Score worked (which it did) and then:
- repeated all of the above scanning with Avast, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, disk cleaner
- defragged with Defragglert and got it to 0% fragmented
- used sfc /verifyonly (which found some problems)
- used sfc /scannow (which said it fixed the problems)
- used chkdsk (which didn't seem to find anything wrong)
This time I didn't touch the drivers. After all that, I made another full backup on my external hard drive and tried the WES again just to make sure it was still working - IT DOESN'T
I have no idea why.
And it also turns out I still have the same freezing problem as I had originally I could cry!
I've installed Process Piglet to give some warning if things are using lots of memory and Process Tamer to automatically reduce the priority of things when needs be. I've added the UnloadTab add-on to Firefox to help it use less memory and still I'm getting random freezing.
I just don't understand it because before I did the clean install, I had more programs installed on my laptop and could use Firsfox for hours on end, running around 15 tabs at a time and other than some points when it stopped responded for a while and had some script errors, it worked ok. It certainly never caused the whole laptop to freeze up so that the only option is to do a hard reset with the power button.
So why am I now getting those problems?
I've tried googling for other people with similar problems and have found suggestions to change the power settings - I now opted for best performance and set the hard drive to never turn off. I've disabled some things in Vista that apparently make it work harder but I don't need (tablet settings and some other stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head but could esily look up again).
But it hasn't made a difference - Vista still freezes randomly when I'm browsing the internet (it doesn't seem to happen any other time - it never froze at all through any of the clean install process, I can copy massive files to and from my external hard drive etc - it only seems to be when I'm browsing the web that it freezes up). And there doesn't seem to be a particular page that causes the freeze either - it can be anything and it happens without warning.
I just don't know what's going on and I don't know what to try next because it didn't freeze up a few weeks ago