Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Offered updates related to W 10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:56 PM

:scratchhead:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3068708

<This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.>

I can't work out from the link, if the above recommended update will improve my system, or as a members suggested in  a different topic, it is a 'nasty update' from a privacy perspective.

As Windows 7 regularly offer updates that seems related to an eventual upgrade to W 10  (which I postponed to a later date, if I'll will install it at all) I was wondering if it is appropriate for me to inquire on this W 7 forum about what those updates means before installing it.  

Regards,  

VS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:02 PM

Hi VecchioScarpone :)

You can install this upgrade if you wish. As long as the KB3035583 isn't installed on your system, you cannot upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update, so you're fine. Some users don't like that update because of the telemetry aspect of things and they simply hide it. Personally, I installed it and it's on all my VMs, and I don't care really about it. So the choice is really up to you.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:22 PM

Aura, young man :hello: thanks.

I  have all W 10 upgrade stored as hidden updates. All new ones that are coming ends up there if I'm not sure and are not marked specifically for W 7 and as Important.

Part of my question was that if it was OK nagging you guys there on the forums, every time I have a doubt about an update.

What is crystal clear to you and those like you, 'telemetry' ? Something you eat, just kidding  :lol:, it is meaningless to me  :o .

VS

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:24 PM

Also, if you install it, don't be surprised if SFC reports corrupt files it cannot fix after. From the article you posted:

This update contains the following two manifests that are occasionally updated by the Diagnostic Tracking Service:
telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json
utc.app.json
The two files are marked as static files in the update. When an advanced user runs the System File Checker Tool (sfc.exe), the files are unintentionally flagged as corrupted. There is no impact or actual corruption on a device that is running this update, and this issue will be fixed in a later service update.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:25 PM

OK

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

And you can ask about any Windows Update here, it's fine. Down the road, some of them are just a matter of personal choice. I install all of them, except for the drivers.

unite_blue.png

#7 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:33 PM

I should slowly get the heck of it, hopefully I wont be nagging much...

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users