Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappearing Task Bar

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Zcar

Zcar

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:27 PM

Task bar is set to auto hide and is at the bottom of the screen.  Everything works Ok until computer goes into sleep mode and when I wake it up the task bar will not reappear until I either reboot or open task manager and restart Windows Explorer.  Everything then works until the computer next goes into sleep mode when I have to repeat the process.  However, if I move the task bar to the left side of the screen it keeps working after being in sleep mode.  I don't have to reboot or restart Windows Explorer like I do if it is at the bottom of the screen.  I have no idea what is going on and even less of an idea on where to begin to trouble shoot or correct the issue.  It's quite an annoyance to have to restart Windows Explorer and it is also an annoyance trying to keep the task bar on the left of the screen since I had it placed at the bottom for so many years.  Desparate for ideas or a solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HardwareAddict

HardwareAddict

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:35 PM

I have the same exact problem and searching for a solution as well. 

Intel i5

Z97 chipset

#3 Zcar

Zcar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:20 PM

Hardware specs:

ASUS Z97 Deluxe USB 3.1 motherboard with 16GB Crucial RAM.

Intel Core i5 4670 CPU not overclocked.

EVGA NVIDIA GTX 980 video card.

ASUS PB287Q 4K 28" monitor connected via Display Port 2.

Windows 10 home.

I have a 2nd computer running Windows 10 pro and it does not have this task bar problem and so far I have not found any hints or clues as to why this problem is happening.

#4 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:57 PM

Did you folks have this issue from the onset or just since some time later?

Edited by Drew1903, 02 September 2015 - 09:57 PM.

#5 dyting

dyting

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:38 AM

I had the same problem ever since upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10. I was restarting explorer 3 to 4 times a day.What I did was move the task bar to the right hand side of the screen. It no longer disappeared after going into sleep mode. However, I prefer the task bar at the bottom so I right clicked on the task bar and clicked properties. I set the location on screen to bottom. It seems to have worked for me. It has now been on the bottom for 3 days and has not disappeared. 

#6 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:53 PM

Whenever it happens, I press the Start button on my keyboard, and when the start button comes up, the Task Bar shows. Then, I can properly access the task bar again when it hides without using the start button.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#7 Uncle Bud

Uncle Bud

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:37 AM

If mine sleeps I often have several problems with loosing services when it wakes up.

I just reboot (sometimes more than once) and hope a fix is in the works.

Update often.

Edited by Uncle Bud, 30 September 2015 - 11:38 AM.

#8 Confoozed

Confoozed

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

Right click the taskbar and select properties - ensure Auto hide the taskbar is unticked. This fixed the problem for me.  :thumbup2: 

#9 ScottoD

ScottoD

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:53 PM

I have this problem consistently.   I am using a 2nd monitor with a laptop but I do not think it is related as when I switch back to laptop screen problem still exists.   Auto hide is not checked.   I am on Windows 10 Education latest insider build , but problem occurred in previous builds.

If I reboot or restart explorer from task mgr problem goes away temporarily.   Really frustrating.

#10 Zcar

Zcar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:43 PM

Since my initial post I have built a new computer with an ASUS Maximus VIII Hero board and an EVGA GTX 980 TI video card.  I have clean installed Windows 10 Pro (retail) 3 or 4 times now, the latest being when I put in a new Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD.  The problem has existed on this build with all installs.  At times it may work for awhile with no issues and then for no apparent reason it will begin all over again.  I'm believing that Windows 10 for some reason and combination of hardware/software has a problem with the taskbar.  No idea why it may work for awhile then suddenly quit.

#11 hellohicomputer

hellohicomputer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:29 PM

For me it had to do with the windows scaling options... I have a couple of 4k monitors and a pc with windows 10 installed, and the icons are all quite small, so I increased the scaling in display settings from 150% to 175% (Change the size of text, apps, and other items slider). For some reason, this switch is what caused the taskbar to disappear after waking the computer from sleep. Just keep the scaling below 175% and this should solve a couple of display errors, such as this one. Hope this helps.

#12 Babziellia

Babziellia

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:21 AM

My toolbar is now "invisible"
I upgraded to Win 10 earlier this month. So far so  good including my toolbar being static on the screen. Then last night my cat walked across my keyboard. I didn't notice anything different at the time because I was going to just shut down, which I did after I removed the cat. Upon Startup this a.m., toolbar is invisible. He had to step on a hotkey sequence. I just want my toolbar back.

Currently, there's a space for the toolbar on the bottom of the screen under all the windows (except the desktop background), but I can't find the damn thing. I pressed the windows key, I can't see where you guys are talking about even making it appear temporarily.  I admit, I haven't used Win 8 for very long, and never got used to it before I succumbed to the pressure of upgrading to Windows 10. So, I don't know my way around yet. I don't want a video on how to fix it, I just want clear point and click instructions, preferably in less than seven steps. I'm old school.

Please help.

-Babziellia

#13 Babziellia

Babziellia

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:29 AM

Update:
Found where to set the taskbar/toolbar. The invisible space moves right, left, bottom, but is still invisible. Auto hide is deselected. Going to reboot.

#14 Babziellia

Babziellia

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:45 AM

Reboot fixed it. Don't know exactly how, but I should have done that first. Good luck with all yall's issues.  I ran a scan just to make sure it wasn't a virus; my computer is clean.

#15 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:22 PM

The Taskbar autohide feature in Windows 10 is buggy.  I experienced these issues myself when I was on Windows 10.  Don't fret over it.  Just chalk it up as one of those bugs you have to live with on Windows 10 and move on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users