Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Tell Your Frames Per Second In Games

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:17 AM

I see a lot of ppl saying how many frames per second they get when their playing games (F.E.A.R., BF2 etc.)....my question is how do you tell how many frames per second you're getting while you're playing? It's probably something simple, but TBH, I've never done it before, and only seen screen shots of ppl's games when they post their FPS.

Thanks for the help!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:42 AM

I use a screencapture program called Fraps. It also shows Fps and records your screen while playing.
http://www.fraps.com/

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:22 AM

Cool, thanks Xpert. I'll be sure to check that out.

I thought there was a way to do it right from in the game? Or was I mistaken (again!)?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:44 AM

Im sure on some games there are mod to check fps but i think on battle.net game like Diablo 2 you can just press /fps. Not sure on others.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:53 AM

Sweet, thanks for all your help Xpert!!! I appreciate it!
Posted Image

#6 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:55 AM

No problem mate :thumbsup:
Hope your happy with your Fps.

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:07 PM

Most game-engines have some way to check the fps but how varies from game to game. I also use fraps, a lot easier than learning a different way of doing it for ever game.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 03:57 PM

If you're playing CSS, Half-Life source, or any of the games that run on the source engine, try typing (in the console***) "netgraph #", where "#" stands for 0-3. 0 turns off the chart, and 1-3 gives a different view/layout of the information (including FPS, ping, packet frequency, etc.) I personally use "netgraph 3".

As for other games, have you checked around for FAQ's or tips on the subject? Check out Gamewinners.com or GameFAQs.com. Someone may have submitted a way to view the information you seek without having to use 3rd party applications.

I've tried fraps before, but i didn't like it that much. Just didn't like the appearence and knowing that i had a 3rd party application running during my game.

***If you don't know how to access the console of a game, hit the tilde (key in the upper left, right below ESC). You may have to enable it from the options menu.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 13 July 2006 - 03:59 PM.

#9 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:04 PM

also, for any of the Half Life (ect) games Heretic mentioned, you can also just use cl_showfps 1 as well.

I'd also say use fraps, though most games will have some way to show the fps.

Edited by Wizdabest, 13 July 2006 - 07:05 PM.

#10 AmBush

AmBush

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:33 AM

For BF2

renderer.drawFps 1
or
renderer.drawFps 0
- Displays the current and average frames per second (FPS) in the top left corner.
K.I.S.S "Keep It Simple and Straightforward"

Logged on since July 1996 and Still learning.

Posted Image

#11 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:51 AM

If you're playing CSS, Half-Life source, or any of the games that run on the source engine, try typing (in the console***) "netgraph #", where "#" stands for 0-3. 0 turns off the chart, and 1-3 gives a different view/layout of the information (including FPS, ping, packet frequency, etc.) I personally use "netgraph 3".

Thanks for that infomation, i didnt know that. I'm going to a LAN on Sunday and will be playing Cs:Source.

#12 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 06:45 AM

Wow, great info everyone! I appreciate all the feedback, too! I'll give it a go next time I'm online. If I can't find the fps in the game itself, then I'll use that fraps program that was suggested!

Again, thanks for everything!
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users