Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Max upgrades for mobo

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 vorsybl

vorsybl

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:41 PM

Hi,

Instead of buying a new computer, I'd rather just upgrade it. These are my hardwares now :

Motherboard : Intel DH67CLB3

Vid card : nVidia Geforce GTX550 1GB

PSU : 700W (I think this may need to be replaced as well, I got lucky, a month ago I opened computer to dust it, and the PSU wouldn't turn on, moving the power cable around some sparks came through the vent, and then it started working)

Processor :  Intel CPU Socket 1155 w/ Core i7 2600K

What processor and video card would be the maximum upgrade on the mother board? And, is it possible to manually remove the current processor and replace it with the new one?

Thank yoU!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,330 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:40 PM

The maximum upgrade for this motherboard would be a Intel Xeon E3-1275 V2 for $360, and unless your processor is connected to your motherboard, it is very upgradeable. As for a video card, most all gpus are compatible. You could even go for a titan X if that is your cup of tea.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 vorsybl

vorsybl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:49 AM

Hey man, thank you for taking the time for the information!

I am very glad to hear that it is very upgradable, because that was my intention when I bought it. Is there anyway to check the integrity/health of the hardware itself? How would I determine if the processor can be removed? I Actually ordered the computer from "portatech.com" where you select the hardware and they assemble/ship to you. I will definitely get that processor and a new GPU and itll be like having a brand new computer no?

How about a GPU upgrade between 150-250? Thanks man, TITAN x is overkill haha

Edited by vorsybl, 12 August 2015 - 10:15 AM.

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,330 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:05 PM

Since it is a desktop, your cpu is certainly removeable.
Here is a list of gpus between $150 and $250: https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#xcx=0&X=14716,24721
I would recommend msi because they make quality products and they have msi afterburner, a very useful gpu utility and overclocker.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:26 AM

This is the best option on that list 

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr92904gbd5tdheoc

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:34 AM

Personally I wouldn't advocate upgrading the processor from the i7-2600K.  It's still a pretty decent CPU and the Xeon E3-1275 V2 or i7-3770K (which it will also take) only have fairly marginal speed improvements (10% or so). Benchmark comparison.  It's up to you if you think the expense is worth it.

Intel boards typically don't have much in the way of overclocking features, but the i7-2600K is usually very overclockable with decent cooling and a suitable motherboard.

If this is to improve the system for gaming, a GPU upgrade would yield much more for your money than the CPU upgrade.  Depending on how much memory you have, a memory upgrade is relatively cheap and may be worth doing.  A GTX970 is the price/performance king at the moment, and will certainly give a noticeable improvement over a GTX550 in 3D games (it's something like 300% faster).  It's over your budget, but if you're not buying a CPU...

If you still want a $150-250 range one, the GTX960 is probably the best choice at the moment.  EDIT the R9-290 diggi mentions above is certainly good at that price, and a definite step above the GTX960. Definitely sort out your power supply first though before you do anything.  What sounds like loose wiring could easily cause damage.  Do not be tempted to buy very cheap power supplies.  Antec, EVGA, Corsair, XFX, Seasonic products are mostly decent.

Edited by jonuk76, 16 August 2015 - 11:40 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

An R9 290 is better than a GTX970, when overclocked,with the latest AMD drivers and especially at higher resolutions of 1440 plus it can hang with and even whup a GTX980

At that price point of $330 an R9 390 beats the 970 also. Sorry but  bang for buck is either one of these 290/x or 390

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:33 PM

But then you can overclock a GTX970 too.  They are both good value cards in price performance terms, and will easily whup a GTX550 in any case.  At $238 the R9-290 is a steal though  :)

uGQ8Bd3.png

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 05:53 PM

Yes you can overclock it but the 970 has a smaller Vram bus( 256 bit vs the 290's  512 bit wide bus) and smaller memory (3.5gb "real memory" vs 4gb )

so at higher resolutions or when more vram  is needed it can't keep up 

The other 0.5 gb of ram in the 970 is not as fast so it stutters when it is accessed, but I'm sure you know this already

http://www.pcgamer.com/why-nvidias-gtx-970-slows-down-using-more-than-35gb-vram/

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Discloses-Full-Memory-Structure-and-Limitations-GTX-970

I agree, that GPU at that price is a no-brainer for the OP

#10 vorsybl

vorsybl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:20 AM

Hi all, thanks for your responses! I ended up getting the 770 for now, it's working great. I'm really glad to hear the CPU is still adequate. I have 8 gigs of RAM. Can you tell me more about the loose wiring?

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:02 AM

I can't really add more than you said yourself:

...the PSU wouldn't turn on, moving the power cable around some sparks came through the vent, and then it started working

On first reading, as you were cleaning the PC, I took "power cable" to mean moving one of the internal cables (e.g. cables providing power to the motherboard) caused sparks, before the PC kicked into life.  Possibly indicating a poor joint somewhere in the power supply.  Reading it again, I looks like you might be talking about the power cable to the wall socket (kettle lead)? If that lead is dodgy and has an internal break somewhere, it should be replaced, but it's a cheap fix.

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 vorsybl

vorsybl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:20 AM

Sup bro thanks for your response again. Yeah I think it's really time for me to explicitly learn the anatomy of a computer. I mean I know theres a cpu, ram, hdd, gpu,and PSU, but im not sure what the cables into the motherboard signify. Yeah there are like 6 thick cables running from PSU to motherboard which I always interpreted to simply be providing power to the mother board as well as gpu. The sparks actually came through like the power supply box itself

Also, is there any way to gauge the "health" so to speak of the CPU/Motherboard particularly? Obviously the old 550 died,

Edited by vorsybl, 17 August 2015 - 10:22 AM.

#13 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

CPU's don't fail very often in the useful life of a PC.  If it works I would assume it's OK.  Using something like Prime 95 stress test checks the stability of CPU and memory (and also stresses the cooling system) by placing a heavy load on them.  Monitor the temperatures using HW monitor or similar to make sure it's not overheating.  Run for at least a few hours.  Any calculation errors indicate a problem.

Motherboards can have parts fail after a period of years - particularly blown, bulging or leaking capacitors.  Google "blown motherboard capacitors" will give you thousands of examples of what to look for in the image results.  Higher quality boards use better capacitors that last longer.  Besides that the BIOS battery usually goes after a few years - symptoms are losing BIOS settings, date and time.  A new CR2032 battery is very cheap so it's not a problem.

Something that does happen over time is Windows can get slower due to installing and uninstalling many programs, corruption of system files etc..  Sometimes backing up all your stuff and re-installing Windows from scratch is the best thing you can do for PC performance..

Edited by jonuk76, 17 August 2015 - 12:28 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#14 vorsybl

vorsybl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:31 PM

Thanks man, this is valuable information. Learning more about computer hardware already. In your opinion, do you think with motherboard, processor, GeForce 770, and 8GB RAM, upgrading to W10 should pose no problem? It's possible it was just a coincidence that upgrading to Windows 10 cashed the 550...the problems did start happening when a game of DOTA was about to commence, and the screen went to black and computer restarted following a blue screen. And that problem kept recurring, even after flashing the drive and reinstalling W7, and the problem kept recurring. The problem went away after I replaced the video card. Yeah I mean I think I played like1500 hours of DOTA on the 550, at least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users