Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does my laptop running xp have any use?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 raidencmc

raidencmc

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:49 AM

I have a laptop running xp. In the last year's of it's life it has only been used on vacation for browsing the web and online banking. I haven't used it since Windows stopped offering support for it. Does it have any uses and how do I do it safely. I was thinking maybe I could use it in my garage as shop computer. I would use it to browse the web, stream audio from websites. I would guess I would not/should not do anything that involves logging in? Any suggestions? Do reinstall the OS? Would I be endangering other devices on the network?

Edited by hamluis, 21 August 2015 - 06:22 PM.
Moved topic from XP to Gen Chat - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:48 AM

Just because M$ doesn't support for WINXP anymore is no reason to dump a working machine..   Working the ISP you use, load their suite of programs to protect it.  I still have an IBM AT unit that runs my home control system.  It has   DRDOS 7.0 and WIN 3.2.  It only has a 40MB hard drive(Seagate) and a memory card expansion of 2 MB besides the 640K system memory.  It has worked continuous  since 1988.  My old laptop, a Compaq Presario from 1992 with WINME is relegated to the motorcycle diagnostics as the bike (Yamaha GSXR 750) only has a serial port and adapters from USB to serial don't do the job properly.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:47 PM

You would have the same risks (maybe less)...as all those persons still running earlier versions of Windows which are not currently supported.

The problem that I see with such....when those versions were current, there wasn't near the concern, prolificiency, or risks currently associated with malware.  Ignorance was bliss back then...today's environment (and tomorrow's) places a heavier burden on the evaluation of system vulnerability versus having an O/S that may work properly.

Depending on the programs installed, such may no longer be supported, increasing the chances of things going wrong, IMO.

Today, there are alternative O/Ses (linux) which may prove to be a more secure path to take...as opposed to outdated Windows installs.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 August 2015 - 01:07 PM.

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:37 AM

XP are core to my business;  I just installed two new retail copies on i5 machines.  Pretty much anything you'd need or want to do, you can do on XP.  Over 50% of business is still on it, and if you hope to do business with governments, municipalities, etc. you often need software which only runs onXP.  So, most stay on it, and add the few Win7's they might need.  For the only issue, has to do with surfing.  To solve that,

1.  Get Firefox and use it, not IE, as your default.  OR, Chrome.  Both work fine on XP.

2.  Make a Linux stick to boot your computer instead, and surf using Firefox or Chrome or whatever browser.  This is something you can do right away.  Breathes new life into your machine without reinstalling Windows.  Gives you a lot of advantages and helps you do Windows housekeeping, too.

3.  Same as #2, but buy the stick instead.  That link is a set of Linux 'liveUSB' installers and instructions, primers which I just bought.  Sometimes it's better to buy, for you're buying the expertise of those who packaged the packages.  So I can use #3 to make #2, with less effort.

I've been using Linux this way for over a year and I don't know Linux til yet.  So you don't have to learn it.  The GUI is very similar to Windows, and many of the programs are similar.

Edited by brainout, 13 August 2015 - 06:07 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:19 PM

The whole linux things scares me.  Its just something I've never dealt with. It doesn't mean I'm against it. I guess I just thought I could reinstall a fresh copy of XP, download zone alarm and some virus scanner( that you guys would recommend).  Avoid logging in anywhere and just browse away.  

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:55 AM

Was not there a time...when you did not have Windows XP as your operating system?

Was there not a time when you did not have a PC?

If you don't remember such...I do.

There's nothing scary about change, it's the nature of the universe, as we know it.  You are constantly changing, why not everything else?

Louis

#7 ship_kicker

ship_kicker

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:19 PM

I use XP on some of my older machines.  However, depending on the Mfg. and driver support for the laptop, perhaps you could upgrade to Windows 7 or 8?  Also, about security.  Now, I'm no security expert, but I have used OS's as old as Win95 on the modern internet and I have not had any problems (save for incorrectly displayed webpages).  

#8 canonsupport

canonsupport

• Banned Spammer
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

Yes, my friend is also using Win XP and never get any issues with that. For security purpose you can use any good antivirus software. Hope this helps :bubbles:

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:09 PM

An antivirus is not foolproof, and eventually vendors will stop supporting XP. At that point you will have to switch.

I have a friend who was using XP... recommended him to switch to Linux Mint. He was really happy about not having to worry about malware, and it's faster than his old XP installation.

Just my two cents :)

#10 canonsupport

canonsupport

• Banned Spammer
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:28 PM

I think you don't read his question carefully. He said "I was thinking maybe I could use it in my garage as shop computer. I would use it to browse the web, stream audio from websites."

I think Antivirus can solve his problem easily. What you think "Alexstrasza"?

#11 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:40 PM

Global Moderator quietman7 put it best here.

A Windows XP computer should never be used to surf the Internet at all.

Edited by Alexstrasza, 20 August 2015 - 02:41 PM.

#12 ScaleCraft

ScaleCraft

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:56 PM

really.

Yeah, there are issues. There always have been. I am using an XP Pro SP3 2 bit machine right now, imaged with Macrium Reflect, ESET security, run Process Explorer to watch for anything amiss.

My backup machine, plugged into the same monitor, is XP Pro, SP2, 64-bit, went on line fresh load of the original XP discs about 2 months ago.

If something happens, I switch to the backup, re-load the image on the 32 bit, and I'm good to go.

I have an 8.1 laptop, and I hate 8 in any iteration. That said, several months of work (before 8.1) and it looks and works like XP, right down to Outlook Express.

My intention, as ornery as I am, is to keep running XP until someone makes it impossible to do so, or they bury Billy, whichever comes first.

My third backup is another box with Ubuntu already loaded.

I looked at 10, not interested in MS using all my data to spam me with ads across the algore.

47 pages of licensing agreements, 13 pages of stuff defaulted "on" you have to turn "off", and the tech community is dead quiet about the possibility that these are just "feel good" settings. They are NOT telling anybody what else is lurking in 10 you cannot turn off.

I'm old school...started in 1970 with computers (no brag..just a timeline) and I think privacy is far, far more inportant than folks are willing to think about.

I am comfortable with XP, and my 65 year old Fords, and if the original poster wants to get rid of his laptop...

I have an XP laptop. Dell Inspiron 5000e with 512mb of RAM, and that's all the further you can go, so it's parked. Still works.

Looking for an old box to load my 95 diskettes onto for fun.

Oh...and my "new" XP has IE6 on it...and I'm leaving it alone.

I use FF on everything anyway, but it's fun to look at more simplicity once in a while.

Dave

#13 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for all the responses.  They have all been helpful.  I think for today I am going to use it for now and hope for the best.  I will simply never input any personal information.  Can I reinstall the OS and get my windows updates?  

#14 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:28 AM

I have a laptop running xp. In the last year's of it's life it has only been used on vacation for browsing the web and online banking. I haven't used it since Windows stopped offering support for it. Does it have any uses and how do I do it safely. I was thinking maybe I could use it in my garage as shop computer. I would use it to browse the web, stream audio from websites. I would guess I would not/should not do anything that involves logging in? Any suggestions? Do reinstall the OS? Would I be endangering other devices on the network?

You are correct.  Can not only have malicious activity in  & towards your machine but, via it affecting countless machines across vast locations.  Anyway, do whatever you like w/ the old thing as long as it is not connected to the Net then, you're right, it's fine. 2 this point in time, any XP machine still being used on the Net is perilous & completely vulnerable to criminals, writers of malware, bots & hackers.  Don't accept anyone saying they can run an XP machine on the Net & be safe & protected... nope, not @ all.  So, sure, use it just not on the Net.
By the way, modern hardware is quite inexpensive nowadays.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

If you reinstall XP...and it reflects SP3...you should be able to go directly to Windows Update for critical updates (over 200, I believe).

If you don't have IE 8 installed, you may not be able to access Windows Update.

Bottom line:  You won't know until you try.

I did a clean install of XP a couple of months ago...installed IE 8...and had no problems retrieving critical updates from Windows Update.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users