Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

New Laptop Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:36 AM

Hi guys,

So I've been thinking it over and I think in the next few months I might go ahead and start upgrading my portable devices and I wanted to see if you guys had some good suggestions as far as power for my buck.

So I'm going to cover 3 devices, please let me know in your response if I should just split these into different topics instead of one big post.

Anyways I was considering in November to upgrade to the new iPhone 6s/7 that will launch in September from my current Samsung Galaxy Note 4.

Purpose: I like the simplicity and the ease of finding various accessories and nearly any app will run on iPhones.

Then I was looking into upgrading my laptops -- First would be to replace my old Dell 17" mammoth which I may sell for extra cash.

This first replacement will be for learning more about cyber security (I am a cyber security major looking to get into Ethical Hacking and Pentesting) and Programming. Also this would probably be my main system I would use for more secure tasks such as online banking, online purchases, etc. It needs to be light, very portable, with a good battery life. I'm thinking between 13"-15.6" with an i5 or better and atleast 8 GB RAM and a 240-256 GB SSD. This system needs to last me for atleast 3+ years. I did some googling and many people suggest the old  refurbished lenovo thinkpad 420s that can be had under $500. I was comparing these to the newer T450s thinkpads and I'm not sure which to go with or maybe even talking with puget systems for a custom build. Here is what I found:

Then lastly, probably leaning more towards a year or so from now, I want to replace my Macbook Pro with possible the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (The new version at the time) for school and casual browsing on the go,

Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions that may be better than this. Thanks!

Edited by SmokeViper07, 11 August 2015 - 09:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:34 AM

1.  I agree I would like to upgrade my iPhone 4s with a new one myself but the new ones seem to be just a little (too big) for my liking.  I like to be able to put it in my front shirt pocket when I need to and the new Iphones are simply huge.

I wouldn't be in the market for a new pc until Intel's Skylake processors are released.

2.  I am confused by your 'I want this laptop to last me 3+ years so I am going to buy myself a Refurb lenovo ' If I were in your shoes I would be in the market for an Asus laptop or maybe a MSI or Gigabyte.  There's nothing really wrong with lenovo but you may want to check out notebookcheck.net for reviews.  Asus has superior screen quality and performance with low noise and superior cooling, although this comes at the price of battery life.  But really how often are you too far from a plug in anymore.

3.  It sounds like your a bit geek hungry.  Do you really need a surface or tablet pc that your laptop/iPhone cannot do the job for?  If not then you may want to look into the dragonfly computer.  I thought it was a nifty device if your looking to geek out. 

And finally along with your white hat hacking instruction you may want to take some classes on wifi security intrusion and interference and clean air detection systems.  I think this field is under manned and sought after (IMO)

#3 SmokeViper07

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:05 PM

First off thanks for the quick reply.

1a) I thought the Note 4 would be too huge for me but I've grown to be ok with it and I was planning to get the smaller model since now they tend to release in two sizes.

1b) Is that in reference to the laptops? Or are you speaking moreso towards desktop builds? When are they supposed to be releasing?

2) I mentioned the Refurb Lenovo laptops due to being able to save some money and that I don't need CRAZY performance out of it seeing the most intensive thing I'd probably be doing is some coding. I've never really looked into MSI or Gigabyte for laptops but I am a fan of Asus as well. However, I chose Lenovo because they took over IBM and the Thinkpad line has been known for it's durability and performance which are two factors I want. Also the battery life on the new ones shoot upwards of 19 hours. I'd like atleast a 5+ hour battery life because I don't always want to be locked down to a cord. I'm not really concerned with noise too much and as I mentioned before it doesn't need to be like gaming laptop performance either. I prefer a matte screen to glossy with FHD. Fingerprints on the screen bug me lol..

3) Yeah I tend to get gadget crazy. I just would prefer to have a dedicated system for my IT stuff and Linux and a different one for Windows and School Work. I've done dual booting in the past on my desktop and it kind of just annoys me. What is the dragonfly computer? Do you mean the 2 in one systems that are all over the place now? I'm a huge geek when it comes to IT, computers, and security so yeah geeking out is always a plus.

Really? It seems wifi security intrusion is one of the more common things when doing my research occassionally. What do you mean regarding clean air detection systems? Like the Safe guards for server rooms if a fire were to occur? I really like the idea of helping companies and individuals secure their systems and physical property from intruders and teach them basic principles to make sure they can make wiser decisions. Whether that be breaking into a corporate network under contract and explaining how I got in and how to prevent it or working the reactive side of things working in digital forensics and anti-malware. I have a bunch of courses on Udemy.com I bought in bundles from stacksocial.com for cheap. Many are Ethical Hacking and Programming related. I just need to schedule in some time to work on them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users