Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running ddwrt on netgear nighthawk ac1900 ...need to extend network

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyJam019

JimmyJam019

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:00 AM

Hi guys

I'm running a netgear nighthawk ac1900. I want to extend my network using a client bridge because some of my applications require a wired connection but I'm unable to run ethernet wiring to the location. I'm getting confused because I'm looking a flashed routers on ebay with ddwrt that are wireless G and wireless N. It seems everyone also raves about the linksys 54g but it's wireless G ? Would it work as a client bridge or would it be slower because my main router is ac?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

Yes it's going to be slower. What you should do is look online at new AC routers that are less expensive but can configured as a client bridge. But I have 2 of those routers and I can tell you they work perfectly.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 11 August 2015 - 02:09 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 JimmyJam019

JimmyJam019
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:10 PM

I've seen some Linksys ac ea6500 routers that are flashed ddwrt so I could configure them to client bridges. Would this be my best bet to keep all my bridges ac?

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

I wouldn't pay that much more for one already flashed over a new one that you have to flash. I have done around 8 or 9 of these flashing to DD-WRT and have never bricked one. I just read the instructions twice and followed them step by step.

But yes I would keep them all AC

Edited by CaveDweller2, 11 August 2015 - 02:16 PM.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 JimmyJam019

JimmyJam019
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:19 PM

Do you have some recommendations for some good ac routers that seem to work pretty well for the price with ddrt? I'm really looking to build a strong wireless network in my home that is 2 story

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:34 PM

I have no personal experience with AC routers so I don't give recommendations on hardware I have no personal experience with. Having said that, if you go with a major brand, Linksys, Belkin, D-Link, TP-Link you should be fine. Some of them might do what you want/need with their own firmware. If not, you'll need to look at the dd-wrt's database on what routers will work and then look into those routers. It'll be a little back and forth but shouldn't be too bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users