Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer starts, but nothing on Monitor?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:25 AM

Specs:

AMD FX-6 six core 3500 mhz

ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Card

GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P

On board sound:  Realtek® ALC887 audio codec High Definition Audio

Zalman Z9 series ATX Mid Tower case

4GB DDR3 1600Mhz

Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 without any problems, PC has been running flawlessly since then.

Went shopping with the wife, so put the PC into sleep mode.

Came back and the PC had switched off so could not awaken it from sleep.

have not been able to start the PC since? The PC starts to  boot but the monitor remains blank with no signal received, the monitor works perfectly on my other PC and the cable is also good. The keyboard (wired) has a small led light which is usually lit all the time, even when the PC is off, but this light does not work now?

PS:  The PC may have stopped booting at the password screen, but here is no way of knowing without a monitor?

Any ideas please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:54 AM

Was there any video during start up?  I am pretty sure you do not have on board graphics, can you borrow another GPU for a test?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:35 AM

Are you getting any indication of hdd activity via the hdd LED?

Are fans spinning, exhaust and PSU fans?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:40 PM

Fans are spinning computer starts to boot, red activity  light displays for about 30 seconds, which makes me think that the system has booted to the password screen, but I don't think my keyboard has initialised so I may be wrong?

I have exactly the same make and model of my installed graphics card, brand new in a box, so I could replace the card very easily!

No video at startup, the monitor is not picking up a signal?

Edited by Willabong, 11 August 2015 - 12:42 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:12 PM

Well... install it and let see what happens.

From what is sounds like, there is a possibility that there is a problem in the POST.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:13 PM

What exactly do you mean by "there is a problem in the POST", and how do I correct that please?

I will try the graphics card first though! ..... It all started from a PC that was in sleep mode, I wonder if that is anything to do with the problem?

Edited by Willabong, 11 August 2015 - 03:15 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:11 PM

POST definition:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test .  Generally, a beep can be heard, indicating a successful POST by the system.

Louis

#8 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:16 PM

I have never heard a bleep of any description from this PC at boot up!  It has always booted silently?

I will change the graphics card tomorrow morning UK time, and post the result.

Edited by Willabong, 11 August 2015 - 06:17 PM.

#9 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:05 AM

Changed the graphics card, but no change to the PC, it still starts then boots for about 20 seconds, then nothing! All the fans are running but nothing on monitor (no signal error), monitor works perfectly ? No beeps at all, but as stated in above post, this computer has never beeped even at boot up?

I have a strong feeling that the problem has something to do with the PC not coming out of sleep mode, but I may be wrong?

Edited by Willabong, 12 August 2015 - 04:08 AM.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,119 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:46 AM

Do you have two stick of ram?  If so remove one then boot, if no change then the other one.  Hoping it is just a ram issue!

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:59 AM

The POST is the Power On Self Test which runs prior to booting.  This looks at all of the peripheral devices such as the computer keyboard, mouse, RAM, HDD/SSD drives, and other hardware to make sure there are no failures.  If there is a failure the BIOS the computer will not start.

Most motherboards have a speaker, when there is a failure during the POST there will be a beep code specific to the BIOS manufacturer indicating the specific failure.

Your BIOS in manufactured by American Megatrends Inc.  You can view the beep codes here.

See if you can boot into the BIOS (tapping the Delete key repeatedly after pressing the power button).

If you have a bootable disc, try booting from it.  In order to do this you will need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the DVD/CD drive is the first device in the boot order, and the HDD/SSD the second device.  Open the optical drive and place the disc in the tray and then shut it and restart the computer.  You should receive a message which will tell you to press any key to boot from the disc.

#12 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:43 AM

My keyboard is not enabled (no led indicator light), nothing happens when I try tapping the delete key?

I have 8 gig of ram 2x4 gig, because I am going to switch OS to a 64 bit system which my Mobo supports?

I will try each stick separately as soon as I have some time (she who must be obeyed is calling!)

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,119 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:23 AM

First off do you have 32 or 64 bit system, that is not a bios function.  Also try pulling the ram then trying one at a time.

Edited by OldPhil, 12 August 2015 - 12:07 PM.

#14 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:58 PM

I have a 32 bit setup (Windows 10, 32 bit OS), on a 64 bit PC.

I am going to try the RAM in about 1 hours time, I will also see if I can find the speaker wire which was never connected when I built this PC.

Edited by Willabong, 12 August 2015 - 02:59 PM.

#15 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:30 PM

Tried removing each stick of Ram, but there is no change, still doesn't boot? Cannot find the cable to enable the case speaker (this is why I never connected it when I built the system!)

I still think there is a connection with the fact that I put the system into sleep mode when I went shopping with the wife, and on returning I could not wake it from sleep?

Is there perhaps a cmos setting/s that may be corrupt?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users