Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Administrator On Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 idunnoenuff

idunnoenuff

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:46 AM

After a lightning storm the other night my computer with Windows 2000 will not give me access to anything. I have tried to restore administrator privileges, but it keeps coming back with "access denied". I have run the repair from my OS disc, but the problem continues. How do I restore administrator?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 freezerburn16

freezerburn16

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:08 PM

Restart your comp. as it is booting push F3 or F8. depending on the comp. boot your comp in safe mode and you can log on as the admin.... let me know how this works
Fb
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor (Clawhammer)
ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI Express 256MB DDR3
4Gb Kingston HyperX KHX3200/1G DDR400 PC3200 Memory
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 ULTRA-D nForce4 Ultra
Caviar WD1200JB Special Edition 120GB
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 idunnoenuff

idunnoenuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:06 AM

I have tried to do this in safe mode with no luck. It says I still don't ahve administrator privileges. At this time it will let me do nothing. I guess my last resort is to Fdisk and reload. I was hoping for a "backdoor" or something. I have kept up with my backups, so I shouldn't be hurt too bad. Do you think it is worth the cost to upgrade to XP? It seems like Windows 2000 is limited with all the new updates that are out there. Thanks for your input.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:17 PM

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and selecting Last Known Good Configuration?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 idunnoenuff

idunnoenuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:54 PM

Thanks, I've tried just about everything I knew to do. I went ahead and did the Fdisk this morning. I was able to save everything important, so a clean slate is a good place to start. Thanks for all your help. I love this site, and I'm sure I'll be needing help again .

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:43 PM

There should still be support from MS for Win 2K for several more years.

Win XP Pro seems to run faster (you need a min of 512 megs of ram) and has a few more features but I guess if the price that you can buy Win XP Pro for is worth the $$ to you.

If you have been running Win 2K you will not be happy with Win XP Home so get Pro if you decide to change and make sure it is compatable with your hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users