Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Returning to factory settings.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 characterchange1

characterchange1

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:49 AM

1. Can a W7 laptop be returned to factory settings after it has been upgraded to W8 and;
2 can it then be upgraded to W10?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:04 AM

Either win 7 or win 8 can be upgraded to win 10.

Why do you need to return to factory settings ??

(Restoring to factory settings is usually done by accessing a 'recovery partition' on the hard drive...)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:35 AM

Hi characterchange1 :)

A Windows 7 laptop can be reset to factory settings if you still have your Recovery partition or disc with the factory image on it. And yes, a Windows 7 laptop can be upgraded to Windows 10 for free.

(sorry it seems like I posted in one of your other threads first, since condobloke already replied to this one we'll keep this one and report the others as duplicates)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:16 PM

By "factory settings" do you mean a total operating system destructive restore?  Or...do you mean returning the BIOS back to factory default settings, which is usually what that term means.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:27 AM

Or...do you mean returning the BIOS back to factory default settings, which is usually what that term means.

It's the opposite :P Returning a computer/laptop to factory default settings usually means that a user wants to "Factory Reset", "Factory Restore" it.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

Hi. The laptop is being passed on to a friend and my son wants ALL personal files, folders, photos etc etc removed before handing the laptop over ie he wants the computer returned to the same way it was when it was first purchased. Problem is, with the machine having been upgraded to W8 from W7, he's not sure how to go about it.

Edit: Ideally he would like to return the computer to a factory state Windows 7

Edited by characterchange1, 13 August 2015 - 12:31 PM.

#7 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:47 PM

Just a thought. Is it possible to uninstall W8 and if so would W7 still be there?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:53 PM

Try it...or contact the manufacturer of said laptop.

So much information is missing from this sketchy scenario that you have proposed...IMO, it's impossible to know until you try.

Microsoft makes no provision at all for removing any version of Windows...other than by deleting the partition or doing an authorized upgrade.  It's hard to say what the OEM manufacturer of the laptop has done...but, as previously stated...if there is no recovery partition or restore disks available for said system...the only way to go back to an earlier O/S would be to reinstall it anew with a legally licensed clean install.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 August 2015 - 12:58 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:54 PM

Do you have a recovery partition? Look under Disk Management. Computer > Right click > Manage > Disk Management. Post a screenshot. What is the make and model of the computer?

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:04 PM

If you don't have a Recovery partition like John indicated, you might have a set of Recovery discs instead. So I would take a look at the discs that came with the laptop when you bought it and see if any of them are called "Recovery", "Reset", "Restore", etc.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:43 PM

No discs came with laptop.

Do you have a recovery partition? Look under Disk Management. Computer > Right click > Manage > Disk Management. Post a screenshot. What is the make and model of the computer?

Will look now.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:45 PM

If all you have is a Recovery Partition that is approx 425MB in size, that would not be the recovery partition to take it back to 7. A screenshot would help.

#13 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:02 PM

Got the screenshot but lost internet on laptop.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:05 PM

You can copy the image to another computer via a USB flash drive and attach to your next post. Did you lose internet just now or was this another problem? What is the make and model of the computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 August 2015 - 02:05 PM.

#15 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:52 PM

Son has had a go himself and laptop is now 51% into refreshing image whatever that means. Will find out when he returns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users