Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Powers On, Fans On Hard Drives Spinning But No Signal Input!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 B34R

B34R

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:28 AM

Hey there,

About 4 months ago now my 4 year old computer started to play up and began crashin regulary. 2 months down the line it crashes and will not reboot. It powers up, fans come on and hard drives spin. So I give up on it! Its 4 years old and decide to buy a new comp when I have the money.

So a month goes by without computer and then my friend gives me some good news. He's brought me computer components and says I can pay him back when I have the money. Obviously I'm very pleased and get the parts off him as quick as I can.

So there I am with my new case (TA-210 Black/Silver Midi Case 360W I believe), processor (AMD athlon 64bit 3000+) and mobo (geforce 6100-m9 1.0) and now I have to put them together. In steps brother, who has built several computers. So I am missing RAM and graphics card (although there is onboard graphics) so I wait until my b'day for the money for a graphics card and get an ASUS Extreme N6600GT 128mb PCI-E 16 DDR3.

Now I have everything! So I invite my brother round to help set everything up. Initially we try a set up without the graphics card and with my old ram (2*Crucial 512mb DDR 266). We follow manual, enusre we are careful and make certain everything is attached correctly. We turn on and pray................................. Computer powers on, fans on hard drives spinning but no signal input! Arrrrggghhhh! Why I oughta! No must be calm!!!! Okay maybe we did somwthing wrong. Lets do a barebone startup. No! How about I change monitors? No doesn't work. Errrmm lets see change ram (1 lot of DDR400 generic)? Nope! Errmmm PSU? Nope. Lets see how about I test connections again? Nope! Errrm getting desperate New graphics card. NO NO NO NO NO! What is going on. I've had the same problem on 2 completely different systems and now I've run out of ideas. Can someone please help me because to be frank if it doesn't work soon I'm going to take a sledge hammer to both computers, old and new whilst laughing manically and then search for more evil computers to destroy.

But yes on a more serious note, I would really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance. Col.

Edited by B34R, 13 July 2006 - 08:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:14 AM

Try swapping the power supplies and see what happens.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 B34R

B34R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:16 AM

Already have! Mentioned it in my post. Anything else??? :S

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:23 AM

Ok, I missed that.

How did you do your barebones start up? With the mobo installed in the case? If so, remove it and hook up only cpu, cpu heat sink and fan, ram, monitor. Does it get past the post and look for the hard drive now? If so you may have grounded out the mobo on the case somewhere. Did you install the stand offs in the case first?

Have you tested to psu to make SURE it is working correctly?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 B34R

B34R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:41 AM

In all cases I get the message no signal input on monitor, including barebobes. The mobo was installed by me and bro and standoffs were provided. From what I rememeber they had insulating washers or something of that nature. I may test what you say, but I think I may have found the problem. We decided to have a look at the processor. It was jammed to the fan heat sink by the heat sink paste and lifted straight out of socket. I'm assuming that the processor want put in properly, although why this has happened I don't know as we were very careful. The result of this was that some of the pins were bent. We have very carefully moved the pins back and replaced the processor. Will keep you posted and thanks for the input so far. Your approach to troubleshooting seems a lot less haphazard than mine and my brothers.

Colin

Edited by B34R, 13 July 2006 - 08:49 AM.

#6 B34R

B34R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:50 AM

:trumpet: Yey sucess! It was the processor. We have got into bios! Thanks for input. :inlove: :cool: :woot: :huh: :cool: :thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users