Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need new gaming computer.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JeffGo

JeffGo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:34 PM

Hi all. So recently I got a bonus from work and have decided to buy a new computer. While I could theoretically upgrade my old one, it would probably be easier at this point to just buy a new one. If people want to know what I'm currently using, just ask and I can PM my DXDiag.

Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

My budget for the new computer is: $2500

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Gaming (perhaps programming)

What software do you intend on using on the computer? For now, nothing fancy (at least nothing worth mentioning).

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? A lot of variety here. Everything from games made in the 90s to games that have just come out. FPS', RPGs, MMOs. If there's an "All" category, I'd probably be that.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? I usually have a few programs running at once. Not including the bare essentials (Anti-virus and such), I probably run around eight small programs (steam, battlenet, skype) and around two or three big ones (internet browser, a game and perhaps something else).

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? No.

Will you be overclocking? No, unless required.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? I'm in Canada, but am willing to order international if required.

How many monitors are you planning to use? Right now I have one, but a second monitor would be nice.

Do you need peripherals? OS? My mouse and keyboard can probably use some replacing (they aren't bad, just getting on in years). No need for printer/scanner/fax. OS will probably be Windows 10 (unless there's a reason to use another one).

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? As I stated before, I probably could upgrade, but I've had this computer for a good number of years and it's starting to show it's age (the video card especially). I've had to reformat around three times for different reasons. I originally bought it around five years ago, and figured it was time for an upgrade.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:14 AM

Do you plan on building this new gaming pc yourself or did you want a pre-built system?  For the money your spending you should be able to get a very nice gaming system and even a new ' second monitor '.  For a gaming rig I recommend going the Intel / Nvidia route with a good sized SSD and a larger spinner Hard drive for game files/downloads/storage.  You can also get a NAS drive for a system backup/storage solution.

#3 JeffGo

JeffGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:39 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I have never built a computer from scratch before, but am interested in learning (obviously I'm going to do research before I try to build this one). If I don't feel I am capable of building it myself by the time I get the parts, I have friends who can help.

So a few questions in response to yours:

1) Is there particular parts you would recommend or a way of narrowing it down?

2) Is there a site/store I should use? (I live in Canada and was going to use either newegg.ca or ncix.com) If there is a better option let me know.

3) Although I understood most of what you said, I haven't heard of an NAS drive before. Could you explain what that is?

Thank you again. ^_^

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:55 PM

1.  You can pick out parts at pcpartspicker.com Good Motherboards Asus - MSI - GIgabyte - Asrock

2.  Pcpartspicker will list different sites and their prices for the part.

3.  NAS= Network Attached Storage basically it is a hard drive accessible through a network connection usually attached to a router.  And therefore can be accessed by any other system on your network.

#5 JeffGo

JeffGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:09 AM

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I have a friend who I wanted to also get the opinion of. 

With a bit of help, here's what we came up with (Any advice is appreciated on changes, although if you can also explain why it would be useful):

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jr47jX

For those that would prefer to see it here, a breakdown:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jr47jX

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($359.99 @ NCIX US) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($103.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII GENE Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($223.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory 
Storage: Corsair Force Series GS 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($289.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($129.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 1250W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($193.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1631.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-20 04:08 EDT-0400

#6 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:25 PM

Well you dont need water cooling.

Grab  3 6TB Harddrives and run a raid 5 - gives you 12TB of 100% reliable storage

I Love Lamp!

#7 JeffGo

JeffGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:40 PM

So do you have a preferred cooling system that isn't water cooling?

Also, wouldn't three 6TB hard drives come out to 18TB of storage?

Finally, on the site I listed above, I can't seem to find a 6TB SSD drive. Would you recommend a non-SSD 6TB drive over a smaller SSD drive?

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:02 PM

Well you dont need water cooling.

Grab  3 6TB Harddrives and run a raid 5 - gives you 12TB of 100% reliable storage

I'm not really sure why you are recommending 12TB of storage....?? Seems overkill for him. Amazon has 6TB drives for 250 each. Thats 750 for three drives... unless you do a ton of data storage a typical gamer doesn't even need that much.

So do you have a preferred cooling system that isn't water cooling?

Also, wouldn't three 6TB hard drives come out to 18TB of storage?

Finally, on the site I listed above, I can't seem to find a 6TB SSD drive. Would you recommend a non-SSD 6TB drive over a smaller SSD drive?

So yes, in a regular setup that would be 18TB. But with it RAIDED it would only be 12. The first two drives are the primary and the third would be the redundant drive. Thus only giving you a usable 12TB of storage.

All the parts you chose look pretty good. With your budget you might want to look at the Nvidia GTX 980. Its a beast of a card, and will give you a lot of years of use. Should last quite a while and run the newest games at decent settings for a while yet.

Also, yeah you don't really need the water cooling setup. Just go with a regular heat sink and fan setup for the CPU.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 22 August 2015 - 10:03 PM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#9 JeffGo

JeffGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:02 PM

So what is the advantage of RAIDed over SSD? (or what's the difference). If RAIDed is better, I could always get three 2TB drives, RAIDed.

Here is an updated one using the Graphics Card you recommended: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mDbWRB

Since Pistol brought it up: Would you recommend Water Cooling or do you think it's overkill? Also, is the hard drive I have with the computer enough or should I add a second one (or a larger one)?

I will agree with Deimos that I believe 12TB more storage space then I will ever use. However I am unsure if I have enough currently.

I'll admit that I'm kind of a noob when it comes to SSD and RAID since I have never used a computer with either one before (My current computer is five years old which was before SSD got popular).

#10 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:37 PM

Raid really isn't necessary for your setup. Basically RAID takes multiple drives and puts them in a setup for redundancy. If one fails you wont lose data since you have another to take its place. At least in RAID 5, which was mentioned. That's in a nutshell and at high level what RAID is. You can google it and read more if you want.

What I would do for storage is get the SSD to run the OS on and the more important games/software. Get a 1TB+ regular HDD for storing files and any other applications.
SSD's are much much faster than an HDD. You will boot in under 10 seconds with one. Much nicer than waiting forever for windows to boot!

#11 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:38 PM

Oh, I forgot to say - instead of RAID for redundancy, just back your data up regularly on an external drive.

#12 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:14 AM

I only mentioned the 12TB Raid 5 Array using standard harddrives not ssd's. --- Some computer games can be as much as 100GB after DLC and patches. You could easily go with 2TB drives for WAY cheaper and still store everything in RAID 5.

Also you are getting good advice from everyone I am merely presenting options for a budget of your nature.

Water cooling use to be needed on gaming computers but CPU's these days....unless you are doing some extreme overclocking a standard to mid grade HSF will do the trick just fine and even on a mild over clock will perform well.

If you have never used RAID I wouldn't recommend you try to on your first build, if possible I would watch as much youtube content as I could. Example - RAID 0 two 250GB SSD's in a system like yours and the performance is insane.

I will go ahead and help you understand raid instead of you having to look it up.

There a alot of different raids ALOT!!!!

Primary levels a 1 0 5 10

Raid 1 is minimum of 2 drives that mirror - 2 250GB drive would give you 250GB of storage as the second drive is an exact copy of the first - High Redundancy

Raid 0 is a minimum of 2 drives that act as one large drive - 2 250GB drives gives 500GB of storage - Great read and write performance - No Redundancy - Great for gamers!

Raid 5 is a minimum of 3 drives that act as one large drive - 3 250GB drive gives 500GB of storage - All drives store parts of data from the other drives - if one drive is lost the drives still function fully but with reduced performance. Speed and Redundancy 

Raid 10 or 1+0 minimum of 4 drives that act as 1 raid 0 drive but they are mirrored -- Offers HIGH redundancy and HIGH speed - Costly as you only get 500GB from 4 250GB drives

Edited by pistol22cal, 23 August 2015 - 03:14 AM.

I Love Lamp!

#13 JeffGo

JeffGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:36 PM

Thank you guys for the great advice. I really appreciate all of it. ^_^

I am not a complete newbie when it comes to computers, but this is one area where I don't have a lot of experience in (which is why I also asked one of my friends for advice as well). I'm just trying to make sure I make an informed decision.

In terms of RAID vs SSD, it seems that (at least for this computer), SSD will serve me better then RAID. While the redundancy is nice, I have never been too worried about losing information on my computer (especially nowadays where most games come in digital format so they can just be redownloaded). 

Here is a new updated parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/f6sR3C

I updated the Graphics card as recommended and I went with an SSD drive and a 1TB non-SSD drive. While having more storage space is always nice, for me it's not a priority (I play a lot of single player games that once I have finished them I can just uninstall them to make more space if required).

Since I have some money left over, I was debating getting a new keyboard/mouse/monitor.

Here's what I'm currently using (the Keyboard and Mouse are both second hand, but still working)

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow

Mouse: Razer Deathadder

Monitor: DELL ST2320L

I was debating using a two monitor set-up (keeping my old one and getting a second one). Any input is appreciated on these matters.

Thanks again,

Jeff

#14 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 04:36 PM

The keyboard and mouse are fantastic ones, no need to update those if they are in proper working order! I'd go with a new monitor. Get a good 1080 or higher resolution one, with a 2ms response time. The 2ms response will keep your games from ghosting and you won't have any visual lag when playing faster pace games.

#15 IWant2Help

IWant2Help

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:49 AM

Thank you guys for the great advice. I really appreciate all of it. ^_^

I am not a complete newbie when it comes to computers, but this is one area where I don't have a lot of experience in (which is why I also asked one of my friends for advice as well). I'm just trying to make sure I make an informed decision.

In terms of RAID vs SSD, it seems that (at least for this computer), SSD will serve me better then RAID. While the redundancy is nice, I have never been too worried about losing information on my computer (especially nowadays where most games come in digital format so they can just be redownloaded). 

Here is a new updated parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/f6sR3C

I updated the Graphics card as recommended and I went with an SSD drive and a 1TB non-SSD drive. While having more storage space is always nice, for me it's not a priority (I play a lot of single player games that once I have finished them I can just uninstall them to make more space if required).

Since I have some money left over, I was debating getting a new keyboard/mouse/monitor.

Here's what I'm currently using (the Keyboard and Mouse are both second hand, but still working)

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow

Mouse: Razer Deathadder

Monitor: DELL ST2320L

I was debating using a two monitor set-up (keeping my old one and getting a second one). Any input is appreciated on these matters.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Hang on a minute! That build can be improved alot.

1. 1250w is wayyyy to much (unless you are planning on 3 way SLI which is stupid). 550w is enough, would recommend EVGA Supernova 550w G2.

2. That is an ATX case and that motherboard is of mATX. Go with either the Maximus VIII Hero or Ranger. It will look better.

3. i7 is not needed for gaming, it will only give a improvement of 5-15fps. If you have the money sure go for it but otherwise go with the i5 6600k.

4. And R9 390 or GTX 970 offer much better value than the GTX 980. 

And with a budget of 2500$ i would go with a 980ti.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users