Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temperature Monitor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jawknee912

jawknee912

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:13 AM

I'm currently using something called Hardware Sensors Monitor that someone recommended off of another forum but it never changes....ever. So I was wondering if someone could recommend a good program to monitor the temperature of my CPU. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:01 AM

Download Everest.
Once downloaded and installed open the program and computer then sensor. It will tell you all your temperatures there.

#3 jawknee912

jawknee912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:30 AM

My CPU is running at 60C. Is this too hot? Does anyone think that I need to get some new thermal paste or replace my heatsync and fan all together?

#4 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:50 AM

CPU's shouldnt be running higher then 60C. The AMD 64's are known to run pretty cool.

AMD Single core

Idle - 20-35C
Full 35-50C

Dual core
X2's

Idle 30-40C
Full 40-55C

The opterons are known to run a little hotter then the X2's or the single core

Idle 35-40C
Full 40-55C

As for Intel, if you OC them you will get really high temps, upwards to 60-70C which then you would want to invest in some decent cooling

As for heatsinks, the zalman CNPS9500 or Big typhoon are the beste out there.

If you dont feel like spending money for those 30-50 dollar heatsinks, here are a couple of steps to cool down your temps

1) Get a can of compressed air and clean out your exsisitng heatsink of dust, and your case.

2) Rewire some cables so it is cleaner and can get some decent airflow through the case

3) Buy some cheap fans 2-10 dollars and mount them in free fan slots.

Credit for this goes to PZEROFGH.

#5 jawknee912

jawknee912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:09 AM

well i've got an Athlon 64 X2 4200+. I've put my computer into a new case with 3 80mm fans and 1 120mm fans as well as a PCI fan and the ambient temp in the case is only 31C. Since my CPU is running at about 57C I think that I'm going to invest in a Zalman heatsink. Thanks for the info.

#6 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:38 AM

Your welcome :thumbsup:

#7 AmBush

AmBush

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:54 AM

I'm currently using something called Hardware Sensors Monitor that someone recommended off of another forum but it never changes....ever. So I was wondering if someone could recommend a good program to monitor the temperature of my CPU. Thanks in advance.

Everest. Is a Great Proggy If you need to know IRQ's, Audio codecs, Monitor ID and everything else about puter.
But for Temperature managment IMO its overkill when Speedfan would do the same as Hardware Sensors Monitor. apart from the fact it "changes" :thumbsup:

K.I.S.S "Keep It Simple and Straightforward"

Logged on since July 1996 and Still learning.

Posted Image

#8 jawknee912

jawknee912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:51 PM

I have an EVGA 7900GT clocked at 500Mhz. It's running at 55C according to Everest. Is that a normal operating temp?

#9 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:47 PM

The Video card is supposed to withstand much hotter temps then your CPU. The older 6*** series from nVidia are known to run much hotter then the new 78** series. As the 8** series from ATI i dont really konw much about them because they are crap and are a waste of money

Video card Temps
Stock

idle - 30-40C
full - 50-60C

if you have a 6*** series you could be running upwards to 80C which is OK.

If you are running hotter then 80C or want to do a little more OC but you are getting held back by the heat, you can invest in a third party heatsink and some AS5. You can run up to 100C-120C but no one really wants to run their video card THAT HOT at 24/7 usage.

Zalman VF-700cu and the NV silencers are one of the best.

With these on, with AS5 of course, your temps should be running 5-10C lower then with stock cooling, and you should be able to OC your video card some more.

Credit to PZEROFGH for this info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users