Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Freezes and crashes @ "Starting..."

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sdeaz31

Sdeaz31

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:38 PM

Hi all,

My parent's Acer Aspire PC is about 6-7 years old. Unfortunately, it's hit a moment in its life where it doesn't even start up now. It freezes right at the Starting black screen. 

I'm unsure of whether it is hardware or software, but I'd love to get it at least functional. It's a lightly used PC, despite being older. 

Would love some advice on anything that I could do to fix this 

Thanks guys!

Edited by hamluis, 11 August 2015 - 08:41 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:53 AM

The BIOS is the basic input output system. It monitors hardware and tells how to boot the os.

Sounds like a corrupt BIOS, and you may have to flash it. Flashing the bios is risky, but you may have no other option. To do this, you will have to remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard. If you google the model of your laptop you will find tutorials on how to disassemble it. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:49 AM

The BIOS is the basic input output system. It monitors hardware and tells how to boot the os.

Sounds like a corrupt BIOS, and you may have to flash it. Flashing the bios is risky, but you may have no other option. To do this, you will have to remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard. If you google the model of your laptop you will find tutorials on how to disassemble it. 

Sorry captain but you most certainly do not remove the cmos battery to flash a bios.  It sounds more like hard drive problem or corrupt windows system files.  If you provide the model of your Acer we may be able to assist you in accessing the recovery partition if it has one.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

Being six or seven years old I'm guessing that this doesn't have Windows 8/8.1 installed on it.

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Sdeaz31

Sdeaz31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:32 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the responses

It is an Acer Aspire M1641. It doesn't have Windows 8 on it, but I haven't been around this thing in about 2 years. Friends have been saying that I should be able to automatically upgrade on the actual system.

I can boot into Safe Mode, at the moment, it's working fine in Safe mode. What else should I / could I check?

Thank you, lovely people. 

#6 Sdeaz31

Sdeaz31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:53 PM

I've noticed the computer hasn't been updated in a year. It's running Windows 7, but all of the Windows update things were on off. This included a firewall option, too.

I've since put all of those back on.

Edited by Sdeaz31, 11 August 2015 - 05:51 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:12 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Sdeaz31

Sdeaz31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:33 PM

Okay will do this. I'm doing it in Safe Mode (With networking). Will post in the next few moments. 

Update: A little tough to do. It keeps freezing, even in Safe Mode. Any suggestions on how to get the information? 

Edited by Sdeaz31, 12 August 2015 - 01:36 PM.

#9 Sdeaz31

Sdeaz31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:10 PM

So only screen shot I was able to get only has the operating system listed. I had to do it in Safe mode because the computer wouldn't load up any other way. 

Is that snapshot still of value? The CPU, RAM, Motherboard and Graphics all say that the SII or SLL (can't remember, sorry) isn't allowing it to be gathered. 

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:17 PM

Do you have SP1?

#11 Sdeaz31

Sdeaz31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:31 PM

Do you have SP1?

I'm not 100% sure. I'm trying to get back on the computer but it keeps freezing at any screen when I try starting up.

Sometimes when I go to start with safe mode, it shows the drivers screen loading then restarts on its own. It also flashes a screen of 0's sometimes. All very weird.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:37 PM

Boot into Safe Mode, right click on Computer, the select Properties.  This will list this if it has been installed.

#13 Sdeaz31

Sdeaz31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:58 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sKVxnZmhjzAQFNwUYrBZlzZ

From Safe Mode with Networking.

#14 Sdeaz31

Sdeaz31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:00 PM

Boot into Safe Mode, right click on Computer, the select Properties.  This will list this if it has been installed.

If by SP1 you mean Service Pack 1, then yes.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:53 AM

Enable the updates under Windows Update in the Control  Panel.

Click on Change Settings and select Download updates but let me choose whether to install them.  This will allow you to limit the number of updates to install.  The reason you want to limit the number of updates you install is because some computers have problems installing a large number of updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users