Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Win95 program run in Win8.1 ?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 MichelineP

MichelineP

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:14 PM

My son is asking me to install an old version of Math Blaster that he used to run on our Win95 computer.   Is there any way to get this working on Windows 8.1?   I tried the 'compatibility' option when running programs, but it appears this only works with programs that run as far back as WinXP only.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:22 PM

Unfortunately, if the program is only compatible with winxp and below, you can't run it on 8. If you absolutely had too run it, you will have to run it on a virtual machine, however that is a lot more complicated and in depth. Ask if you would like us to go into that.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 MichelineP

MichelineP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:24 PM

Sure, I can try that.   I'm up to learning something new.

#4 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:34 PM

Sure, I can try that.   I'm up to learning something new.

I would recommend Oracle VM VirtualBox, then downloading a Windows 95 image for free (because Windows 95 is abandoned by MS) here: https://winworldpc.com/product/windows-95

Here's instructions on installing it: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html

:)

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 MichelineP

MichelineP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:36 PM

Thank you!   I will try that now.   Believe it or not, I have an unopened package of Win95.   <huge smile>

#6 MichelineP

MichelineP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:37 PM

Quick question.... Has anyone used Hyper V in Windows 8?  Is it something I should look at before installing Oracle VM VirtualBox?

#7 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:45 PM

Thank you!   I will try that now.   Believe it or not, I have an unopened package of Win95.   <huge smile>

Awesome! It's a CD, right?

Quick question.... Has anyone used Hyper V in Windows 8?  Is it something I should look at before installing Oracle VM VirtualBox?

After doing a google search, it looks like it is more for simulating hardware. I would stick with VM VirtualBox because it is very good software just for this type of thing.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#8 MichelineP

MichelineP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:47 PM

I'll have to go down and pull it out of my 'closet under the stairs'!   If memory serves me correctly, it must be CD because I don't remember it being in a box with floppies.  <grin>

#9 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:49 PM

CDs were invented in 1982, so most likely you're right. And even better, VirtualBox supports installing virtual OSes via real CDs!  :guitar:

#10 MichelineP

MichelineP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:22 PM

I've successfully installed the Oracle VM Virtual Box.  So far so good!   Next is the Windows 95 OS.   Wish me luck!

#11 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:36 PM

Very good! Now you just need to create a new machine called Windows 95 ( :P) then click through all the screens (Create or next). All of the default settings are fine. When that's done, you need to go to the settings for that VM (the yellow gear), insert your W95 CD, go to the Storage tab, and Empty (next to the CD icon). Click Host Drive E: or whatever letter your CD drive is under the CD icon, then check Passthrough. Now you can click OK then start the VM and the installation on the VM will start. :) When it is finished installing, you can right click the Host Drive E: or whatever letter it is then click Remove attachment. Now W95 will work as normal and you can install the software you wanted to use.

Edited by gigawert, 10 August 2015 - 09:37 PM.

#12 MichelineP

MichelineP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:38 PM

Found the Win95 CD.  Still wrapped in plastic!   I'm hesitant in opening it!   It's going to take 1.5 hours to download from the internet.   Might be worth the wait... <grin>

#13 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:39 PM

Found the Win95 CD.  Still wrapped in plastic!   I'm hesitant in opening it!   It's going to take 1.5 hours to download from the internet.   Might be worth the wait... <grin>

Why hesitant? It isn't worth $10 on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xwindows+95.TRS0&_nkw=windows+95&_sacat=0

#14 MichelineP

MichelineP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:46 PM

The recommended memory is 64Mb and hard disk size is 2Gb!   LOL!   What's the low-down on the different hard disk types.   VDI VirtualBox Disk Image; VMDK Virtual Machine Disk; VHD Virtual Hard Disk; HDD Parallels Hard Disk; QED QEMU enhanced disk and QCOW QEMU Copy-on-Write.    Should I choose the VHD?

#15 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:59 PM

I have a copy of W95 on VM and I chose all the default options including VDI. VMware works best with that type.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users