Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Makes Diagnostic Data Collection Compulsory

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:04 PM

Yikes:  so much for all those privacy settings.  Just like Paragraph 2 of the Microsoft Services Agreement reads, you agree that MSFT has a complete free right to Your Content, even as Paragraph 3 there gives it God-like judgment powers over whether you're behaving.  So now more teeth in all that, ouch.  :bubbles:

Computerworld article here.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:50 PM

Really MS? This is getting quite ridiculous.  :killcomp:  :mellow:

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:16 PM

As Aura pointed in this post, you can stop telemetry by using the Hosts file. There is another file on the internet that will debloat Enterprise. Not sure how it works with Home or Pro though.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:20 PM

In June, Microsoft also updated Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and the April 2014 Windows 8.1 Update -- the supported versions of those editions -- with the same diagnostics and telemetry service used in Windows 10.

Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) is turned ON in win 7 by default. You can turn it off by ::

1. Click Start, select Control Panel, and click the Action Center.

2. In the left pane, click Change Action Center settings.

3. Under Related settings, click Customer Experience Improvement Program settings.

4. If you want to turn off the Windows CEIP, select No, I don't want to participate in the program, and then click Save Changes.

I found THIS article, to be a bit 'scaremongery'.......when in fact rather than have to deal with a dangerous trip into the Windows Registry ....the telemetry etc can be turned off by running these commands in administrator mode.....and then rebooting

sc config DiagTrack start= disabled
sc config dmwappushservice start= disabled

OR running the below commands with NO reboot.

sc stop DiagTrack
sc stop dmwappushservice

These commands were taken from THIS article in the Comments by Kiyos...the third or so comment after the 'article' actually finishes.

There is every possibility that I have misinterpreted the comments/commands etc etc there.....so please tell me if I have done so.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:28 PM

Changing the HOSTS won't work, that's why I posted this.  Telemetry is read as 1 even if 0, in Home or Pro.  Only Enterprise gets to make Telemetry =0, Ars Technica had an article explaining that (Search on 'there's more' in the article, notice the GPO of Allow Telemetry' tells you the reg hack won't be read as 0 in Home or Pro).  So all those privacy settings might be turned off, but won't stop the data collection.

As Aura pointed in this post, you can stop telemetry by using the Hosts file. There is another file on the internet that will debloat Enterprise. Not sure how it works with Home or Pro though.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:33 PM

I found this interesting from the article.

Microsoft describes Basic as collecting "data that is vital to the operation of Windows," and to prove that, requires it as a minimum before serving the device with updates via Windows Update. "But some apps and features may not work correctly or at all" with Basic, the company warns.

Windows Insiders, those who have opted in to Microsoft's preview program, have their devices automatically pegged to the "Full" setting, which they cannot change.

So I assume the commands you Condobloke posted will stop the telemetry for Windows Insiders, correct?

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 August 2015 - 09:37 PM.

#7 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:33 PM

You're right, Condobloke, the article is a bit scaremongery, but for a lot of people, regedit is not the way to go.

As for what actually works, John, I'm not sure anything will.  In a way the Computerworld article is like old news for us, but I'm thinking it got posted as a heads-up.  Will go scour other sources like ZDnet to see if there's anything new there.

I'll keep a running log of such stuff in this new subforum on the topic, so as not to waste folks' time here.  To me this will be the telling stroke, what MSFT does to counter the workarounds.

Edited by brainout, 10 August 2015 - 10:10 PM.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:35 AM

20k690y.jpg

Edited by Condobloke, 11 August 2015 - 01:44 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:26 AM

Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) is turned ON in win 7 by default. You can turn it off by ::

1. Click Start, select Control Panel, and click the Action Center.

2. In the left pane, click Change Action Center settings.

3. Under Related settings, click Customer Experience Improvement Program settings.

4. If you want to turn off the Windows CEIP, select No, I don't want to participate in the program, and then click Save Changes.

Thank you for posting this! I was just checking to see if my win7 still existed after a dual boot experiment and mine was checked!! Gah!! :o

I have my updates set to pop up for approval. This one must have popped up while I was studying for an exam or something. I need to pay more attention, but its so exhausting. :workout:

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users