Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my gaming comp...some assistance please!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 7sixes

7sixes

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:50 PM

As the title says, I'm upgrading my gaming rig with a new mobo, GPU and CPU. I bought my computer from cyber power in 2011 and I would like to move up to the next level.

Here is what I have so far.

GPU: MSI Geforce 970 GTX http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814127832&cm_re=gtx_970-_-14-127-832-_-Product&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=6146992&SID=id6if2dysw002urt00053

CPU: AMD FX-9370 http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16819113346&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=6146992&SID=id6ihpchyc002urt00053

Mobo: ASUS Crosshair http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813131876&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=6146992&SID=id6iicezay002urt00053

Good? Bad? Works with wattages and connections? Works with my current tower?

My current rig is below:

CAS: Azza Toledo 301 Gaming Mid-Tower Case [-19]
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
CS_FAN: Default case fans
ENGRAVING: NONE
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
FREEBIE_CU1: FREE! Battlefield 3 Game (AMD) [+0]
FREEBIE_VC1: FREE Game Coupon Batman: Arkham City [+0]
FREEGAME_VC02: None
GLASSES: None
HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache Power Saving 5900 RPM HDD [+39] (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
IEEE_CARD: None
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX)
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOPAD1: Razer Sphex Gaming Grade Desktop Skins Mouse Pad [+13]
MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ On/Off Charge, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI
MOUSE: GigaByte GM-M6800 Dual Lens Optical Gaming Mouse [+13]
NCSW: None
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 750 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready
RUSH: 5% Instant Rebate for Non-Rush Delivery Order over $999 - Ships within 3 Weeks - Must Enter Coupon Code "NORUSH" during checkout [+0]
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: Logitech Z313 2.1 DT speaker [+33]
TEMP: None
TVRC: None
USB: None
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+38] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11n 150Mbps Network Interface Card [+19]

Edited by 7sixes - 03 Aug 2015 at 7:07pm

Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:27 PM

That motherboard doesn't support the FX-9370. I recommended the the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 instead. 

Yes it's compatible with the current cooling system (it should be, unless they used hard tubing). 

Yes it all works with the current tower. 

Yes the PSU has all the proper connectors and yes it can supply enough power for everything.

Edited by SEANIA, 10 August 2015 - 11:28 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 7sixes

7sixes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:36 PM

How doesn't the mobo support it? I just want to learn! Thanks for the info!

#4 7sixes

7sixes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:43 PM

Another forum I use said the motherboard and CPU will work...I need some help I guess :/

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:43 PM

How doesn't the mobo support it? I just want to learn! Thanks for the info!

It only supports up to 125 watt CPUs. The FX-9370 is rated at 220 watts. The board may be beefy enought to able to run it anyways, be there's a good chance it'll burn up because of it. It also isn't supported in the BIOS so there might be compatibility issues there and you'd get errors all the time. 

EDIT

Wait.. I guess their support page didn't load right for me the first time, cause now it's saying it does. *shrug*

Edited by SEANIA, 10 August 2015 - 11:45 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#6 7sixes

7sixes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:46 PM

The gigabyte and the Asus both support the same CPUs according to the details info on new egg

#7 7sixes

7sixes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:47 PM

Ah ok thank you!!! You second opinion did help tho!

#8 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:48 PM

Oh it should be noted the manufacture page has this noted under that specific CPU because of the high wattage.

"Due to the high TDP, please be noted there are limitations while using this CPU(i.e. special thermal required..)"

#9 7sixes

7sixes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:05 AM

How could that affect it? Overclocking?

#10 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:12 AM

Means you should make sure your case has good airflow to keep the motherboard cooled properly. Judging by your cases huge side fan though that shouldn't be a problem.   

The FX-9xxx series doesn't really overclock. I mean they can, but the stock speeds they have them set to are near limit that their architecture can provide. The chips are already binned to be able to reach those speeds in the first place, so there isn't much headroom for overclocking. 

Edited by SEANIA, 11 August 2015 - 12:12 AM.

#11 7sixes

7sixes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:18 AM

Ok. Sounds good. I am a bit worried about overheating...is here maybe another CPU u would recommend?

#12 7sixes

7sixes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:30 AM

What about going Intel?

i5-4690k http://m.newegg.com/Product?itemNumber=N82E16819117372

Asus sabertooth http://m.newegg.com/Product?itemNumber=N82E16813132507

Those seem nice and people always speaking highly of Intel setups

#13 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:34 AM

The cooling system your desktop has is enough to cool it. I wouldn't worry about overheating. 

Anything less powerful then that and it's not worth pairing with the GTX 970. The CPU right below it is the FX-8370, and my friend (who has a weaker GPU then the 970) just upgrading to that i5-4690k from it and saw massive improvements in frame rates. A general 20% boost actually. 

That i5 there would be preferred to get paired with the GTX 970, but it wouldn't be compatible your current CPU cooler unless you ordered different mounting hardware for it. 

Also, why the 200$ motherboard?

#14 7sixes

7sixes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:52 AM

Ok! I'll take your word for it on the cooling. And the $200 motherboard? After reading the reviews it got me hooked. What are the pros of the extra cost compared to the other cheaper ones?

#15 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:31 AM

What are the pros of the extra cost compared to the other cheaper ones?

The main difference for AMD socket AM3+ motherboards up to 110$ is that lower tier boards don't have enough girth to be able to run beefier CPUs. They can't supply enough power and when you try to force it anyways they can literately burn up. Once you reach around that 110$ mark, you'll start seeing boards like the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 that are physically capable of comfortably running all of the AM3+ socket CPUs. Even the 4.7/5Ghz stock clocked ones. 

Buying a more costly board, like the ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z, will get you a CPU performance gain of less then 1%. Why get the board then? Well there are a few reasons. Maybe not really good ones, but they are reasons. 

More expensive boards tend to support more GPUs in a single unified config. IE crossfire/SLI.

That ASUS board supports 3-way SLI and 3-way Crossfire. The 110$ board only support 2-way SLI/CF. It should be noted that the more cards you use, the smaller the return is on SLI/CF. A 2nd card will usually add about 50% real world performance in games, a 3rd card will add maybe 25%, and a 4th card (for the few boards that support it) has been known to add no net gain over three, or add between 1-10% performance.  

Higher overclock speeds.

Like I said, the FX 9xxx series is already pushing to the chips to their limits- both thermally and physically. However it does support higher RAM speeds....which have been shown to provide only up to a 3% performance boost in games when using a dedicated GPU. 

A more powerful sound chip. 

It's louder. That's about it. There's a bunch of marketing stickers attached to it to make it seem better, but compared to the 110$ board the only real thing it can do is be louder. 

Ports, lots of them.

It has more ports for connecting more things. It has ten hard drive connectors instead of eight and a plethora of additional headers on it. Weather you use those ports or not is up to you. 

Gimmicky features that don't do anything.

Half the special features 200$ boards have is bad software specific to the board brand and random gimmicky features that may look nice on paper, but don't really do anything. 

Intel boards/CPUs are a little different. For instance all their boards with a compatible socket can run all that sockets chips. You can stick the 350$ USD i7-4790K into a cheap 40$ board and it run just as well as it would've on a 400$ motherboard.  Intel also disables overclocking on all but their highest end chip set- the Z97 and Z87 chip set for the 1150 socket. Boards with those chips currently start at 90$ USD. Paying more then 130$ and you run into all the other feature. Unlike AMD their chips aren't already pushed to their limits so overclocking is a worthwhile endeavor. It should be noted that the max overclock speed between those 90-130$ boards and the highest end 400$ OC board is all of a 5% max difference in finial results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users