Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes Pro Crashing app (sometimes PC) on Scans

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gillhajr01

Gillhajr01

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:44 PM

This occurs only whenever the System32 folder is scanned, also it crashes on random files which i know (hope) aren't infected.

Weirdly the MBAnti-Rootkit does the same thing, However my MSE and Bitdefender don't :/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:07 PM

When you're having issues with Malwarebytes, one of the solutions generally suggested by the Help Desk to try first is to uninstall/reinstall as follows:If that does not resolve the problem, then the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware development team recommend you start a new topic in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help Forum and report them there. If one of the Staff or Honorary Members ask you to run some "Diagnostic Logs", please refer to this topic and post the logs in your original Malwarebytes topic, not here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Gillhajr01

Gillhajr01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:12 PM

I will make a post there however :) thankyou

Edited by quietman7, 11 August 2015 - 07:20 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:22 PM

The Tech Support & Help Forum team know the inner workings of the program and have direct access to the developer and research engineers. So yes, your best option is ask and wait for them to figure out what is going on.

I can tell you that the speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.
  • The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both.
  • Options to scan for rootkits, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS).
  • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
  • Type of scan performed: Deep, Threat (formerly Quick ) or Custom scanning.
  • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
  • A computer's hard drive size.
  • Disk size and used capacity (number of files that have to be scanned).
  • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
  • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
  • Competition for and utilization of system/CPU resources by the scanner.
  • Other running processes and programs in the background.
  • Whether the scanning engine stalls, hangs or freezes.
  • Interference from malware.
  • Interference from other security programs attempting to scan at the same time.
  • Interference from other programs attempting to update (download/install) components from the Internet.
  • Interference from the user (whether or not you use the computer during the scan).
-- If you have "Scan for rootkits" enabled (new MBAM 2.0 feature), it will increase the length of the average scan time from previous versions and sometimes cause the scanner to stall (hang). This defeats the purpose of routinely using the recommended THREAT Scan to quickly check the most prevalent places for active malware so that option can remain disabled unless needed for rootkits.

"Scan for rootkits" can be found under Settings > Detection and Protection Options and is disabled by default since it increases the time required to perform a scan and can cause the computer to freeze (hang) or even crash...see Why is scan for rootkit off by default?.
Detection.png

To speed up a scan, clean out temporary (junk) files first, temporarily disable any other real-time protection tools, close all open programs, perform a Quick (Threat) Scan instead of a Full (Custom) one and do not use the computer during the scan.

In most cases when performing routine security checks, only a Quick (Threat) Scan is needed since it checks the areas of your computer most likely to contain malware...the most prevalent and common places where malware typically hides. A Full (Custom) Scan is much more comprehensive and can take a long time since it checks the entire hard drive (all folders/files) which can number in the thousands. The length of time for performing this type of scan varies because it is so comprehensive and therefore can take several hours. As such, a Full scan is generally recommended only for heavily infected systems.

#5 Gillhajr01

Gillhajr01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:24 PM

Thankyou for this mate, and I've setup  a post, As expected no-one has replied at all to it yet ;P

Keep doing what you do best!! <3

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:37 PM

You're welcome and good luck.

#7 Gillhajr01

Gillhajr01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:24 PM

Oh and just out of interest, If Malwarebytes does this but every other Antivirus / malware i use works fine and detects nothing. Am i safe.. because if needs be i'll just not use malwarebytes haha

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:34 PM

Malwarebytes Premium (Pro) is one of the more effective anti-malware scanners and detects things your anti-virus and other anti-malware scanners do not detect. In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots. Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

I would keep Malwarebytes unless the development team are unable to resolve the issue which only happens in very rare cases.

#9 Gillhajr01

Gillhajr01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:08 PM

Hey, I've needed to tell you something which has kinda' come to light after speaking to someone from malwarebytes.

For whatever reason, One of their admins decided to read the forum i opened here regarding Malwarebtes, And I quote "you may wish to detract your appalling reply to quietman7 at Bleeping Computers"

Which I'm sorry for saying and this might need to be deleted..

The other reason i'm messaging you is to tell you that I've been running a Pirated version of windows and would like to appologise for wasting your time as i'm against the rules doing this. I DO have a legitimate key but the pirated windows is enough unfortunatly...

I hope you understand and forgive me ~ Joe

[[[This was sent to your inbox but Not sure if you read it, so i may as well post it here for you..]]]

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:42 PM

Yes I received the PM and read both your topics at Malwarebytes. I sent you a reply before you posted here.

Let this all serve as a lesson learned. Good luck with the reinstall using the legit key you purchased.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users