Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 8.1 dism

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 silumor

silumor

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:19 PM

i have a windows 8.1 laptop

i did an updated the other day and system crashed

my laptop loops in the something went wrong windows needs to restart your comeputer

i have booted to a DVD of windows 8.1, refresh fails reset will work but I want to to to repair my installation instead of

reinstalling everything again. what is the dism command that will help me repair my c:\windows installation? iim not familiar with this command can anyone assist me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:50 PM

Windows Eight forum: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26095-repair-install-windows-8-a.html

The tutorial will show you how to do a repair install (aka: in-place upgrade install) to fix your currently installed Windows 8 without losing anything.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 8.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 silumor

silumor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:05 PM

so I cant get into windows at all though, so i need to be able to do it from a dos prompt booting from a DVD, is there no way without being logged in?

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

DISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption in Windows 8: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26512-dism-fixing-component-store-corruption-windows-8-a.html

But again the site states "You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do an Inbox Corruption Repair with the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool.'

Also: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

It would seem that your options are limited. Standby as another with more Win 8 knowledge may post.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#5 silumor

silumor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:46 PM

yep I need to be able to do this from a booted CD as i cant log into windows at all

or is there a repair command Im unaware of thta can help me solve my issue

Edited by silumor, 10 August 2015 - 05:14 PM.

#6 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:42 PM

The DISM can only be run from administrator command prompt. I don't know of any other way Im not a expert at stuff like this either.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:27 AM

Before running the DISM command you need to run sfc /scannow to determine if there is any file corruption.

To run the sfc /scannow open the command prompt using the instructions instructions below.  When it is open copy and paste sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.  If it finds corrupted system files and can not repair these, then you should run the DISM command.  That is what this command is used for.

Press the Windows key rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and the X key at the same time.  Select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu that opens.

When the Command Prompt opens copy and past the command below, then press Enter.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Edited by dc3, 23 August 2015 - 10:33 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:29 PM

Hi silumor

You will only execute Dism command if Sfc command fails to repair corrupted files.

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below command into Command Prompt and press Enter key.

The following command scans integrity of all protected Windows system files and repairs files with problems when possible.

Sfc  /Scannow   /OFFBOOTDIR=D:\   /OFFWINDIR=D:\Windows

Please replace partition letter D: with Windows installed partition letter.  When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

If Sfc command not resolve the boot problem execute below command and restart your computer.

dism  /Image:C:\    /Cleanup-Image   /RevertPendingActions

Replace C:\ partition letter with a partition letter of Windows OS installed partition.

Edited by FreeBooter, 01 December 2017 - 01:25 AM.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#9 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:54 AM

Anyone bother looking at the original post date?? August of 2015.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:30 AM

I have not it doesn't  matter if anyone else having the same OP problem our suggestions could help to resolve the problem.

Edited by FreeBooter, 01 December 2017 - 03:33 AM.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users