Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my Power Supply going bad?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FlazerDragon

FlazerDragon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:53 PM

I've been having problems with my computer all of a sudden. It will completely randomly go black and then restart itself after a couple of seconds. Doesn't matter if I'm in google chrome and had just restarted 5 minutes ago, doesn't matter if I've been playing video games for 2 hours. Completely random.

Everything I've seen has pointed to the power supply, but I'm still unsure.
It's an 850 watt Thermaltake I bought just a year ago.
I've started watching the voltage on the +12v on a program designed for my motherboard and it's been staying around 11.8v - 12v, but it is CONSTANTLY changing, like every second or two.
The lowest I've seen it drop was around 11.56v before jumping back up to 11.9v in a second or two. I've only seen it do this maybe twice.

I was told that the voltage should only change every couple of minutes at least, but usually stays exactly the same. Is this a sign of my power supply going out? I suspect it randomly drops below 11.4v causing the black out, but I haven't seen it do that since I started watching it. I've also gone into my computer and double checked all the wires.

Is the constant change in voltage every second or two, even slightly (Such as 11.827v to 11.880v), a bad sign?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:41 PM

Fluctuations are a failing indication of the regulator(s) in the power supply.  Restarts are another indication that the PS can't maintain itself and shuts down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users