Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Home Built System Fried

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CarpeNoctu

CarpeNoctu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:28 AM

System:

AMD Athlon socket 939
ASUS A8N-E Motherboard
NVidea GeForce 6600 GT
1 GB RAM
On Board sound (for now)
LG DVD-RAM
HP DVD/CD Burner
Western Digital 80 MB HDD (IDE) :thumbsup: (From my older computer, Windows XP already installed.)

I have it all together, as the manual instructed, checked and double checked... Then triple checked, just to make sure... Connected the monitor, power, keyboard, mouse, etc... Whether I use the Motherboard CD or not, it will NOT boot from C and it will not boot from the CD... It tried to boot from C, telling me that the computer was improperly shut down (which it was not...) and asks if I want to boot into Safe Mode (with all of it's options) or revert to the last known working settings or open normally... I have tried ALL options, both with and without the CD and NOTHING works!

On a side note... My monitor is freaking out a little bit too... I hit Del to enter setup and the screen is gray and blue and black... Slowly the screen lightens and then brightens... I can still see everything but rather than the dark screen that I was looking at before, I suddenly have a much brighter one where the gray is white and the blue and black is vivid...

Any suggestions? It may be a short time before I can check this out as I don't have a computer at the moment and getting to the internet cafe is not always an option...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:19 AM

Try a different monitor. If video issue persists, then I would lean towards a problem with the video card.

Just a side note: It might be breaking your End User Licence Agreement (EULA) with Microsoft by moving the hard drive and using the same installation of Windows on the 'new' computer. Usually Windows is only allowed once on one computer. Moving it to another computer is not allowed, unless you went out and intentially bought the full retail version. My guess is you have an OEM version, in which case transferrring to another computer is not allowed.

Once you establish that the monitor and video card are working well, then I would lean towards a reinstall of Windows. Of course you will need to install new drivers for the new motherboard as well.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 CarpeNoctu

CarpeNoctu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:55 PM

Thanks... As much as it sucks, that sounds like it may be my problem.

I like the UN and sig, btw :thumbsup:

#4 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:49 AM

Yeah, my guess is that your old installation of windows and all its drivers isnt matching with the new hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users