Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP Address Conflict

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Steevo1990

Steevo1990

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:35 AM

Hello all,

I have a home built desktop computer with Windows 7.
Wired connection to an Arris modem and netgear router given to me by optimum, my cable provider.

Lately I have been having issues connecting to the Internet. The wifi works on my phone but computer won't connect and I have that hard wired.

A network error window pops up and states tha I have an IP address conflict. I tried resetting my modem and my router and although this works sometimes, this time around it isn't solving the issue. Under device manager I have that little yellow triangle with the explanation point next to the Ethernet Controller.

I also, went to cmd and tried releasing and renewing my IP address and when I try releasing this message comes up "An error occurred while releasing interface Local Area Connection : An address had not yet been associated with the network endpoint."

Lastly under Internet protocol version 4 I have the IP address and the DNS server address to be obtained automatically.

I read many forums and now I'm at the point where I don't know what to do next. I'm not a tech but I can make my way around the computer decently.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:46 AM

"Wired connection to an Arris modem and netgear router"

You mean only a wired connection to the router, right? You should not be connected to both at the same time.

#3 Steevo1990

Steevo1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:47 AM

Yes yes yes I meant that my desktop isn't connected wirelessly.

My desktop worked fine for four years this only started happening about a month ago.

Edited by Steevo1990, 10 August 2015 - 11:48 AM.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:09 PM

Go to a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and hit enter

Scroll up to the top and where it says lease obtained and lease expired... tell me the dates and time of each.

#5 Steevo1990

Steevo1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:20 PM

It doesn't state anything about a lease nor dates.

The only date is the Microsoft copyright date of 2009

Edited by Steevo1990, 10 August 2015 - 12:21 PM.

#6 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

Hi Steevo,
Will you please post the result of 'ipconfig /all' command when physically connected(wired) to router and you see this conflict message?

About the device manager listing, are you sure you have uptodate drivers for your ethernet adapter? Please check with the vendor's website.
For now, right click on ethernet controller> uninstall driver> follow prompts and restart your computer.

Does directly connecting your modem to computer help you?
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:58 PM

I suspect you didn't scroll to the top.  Here is an example of what I am looking for.  You can copy/paste your ipconfig /all into a post here

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Joshs-LT
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AC-72-89-29-E8-BC
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AC-72-89-29-E8-BB
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes  <-------------------------------------------------------------------------------important.  Means you are using dhcp
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::993c:146f:f1a5:4082%12(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.31.118(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 10, 2015 7:59:53 AM <------------------------------------important.  Means you are using dhcp
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 7:59:51 AM <-------------------------------------same
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.31.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.31.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 229405321
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-38-6A-C0-14-FE-B5-BE-0A-77

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:00 PM

connecting to the modem only doesn't address the ip conflict issue.

Knowing how many other devices are connecting to the router would be helpful though.

#9 Steevo1990

Steevo1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:27 PM

Since my computer isn't allowing me to go online I am using my iPhone or the forum so I took a picture and im going to upload the image of the ipconfig /all

image.jpg

My desktop if hard wired to the modem. I have two iPhones and two androids that are u sings it's wifi. Also, I have a TP-Link range extender that is hard wired to the modem. I'm wondering if this is the problem since I got this not to long ago.

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:10 PM

Yellow exclamation point in device manager needs to be resolved. Right click on it, click uninstall and click OK...nothing else and Reboot. see if that takes care of the exclamation point.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:37 PM

Only the router should be connected to the modem.  Extender to the router.  What ip address did you give the extender?  Did you adjust the routers dhcp scope to not include that ip address?  If not this can be a cause for ip conflict. 

Presently you are not getting a ipv4 ip address.  Something is wrong with the nic or as I suspect you have a corrupted tcp/ip stack due to some malware.  Below is how you can fix that.

For Windows 7 and Windows Vista

To open a command prompt, click Start and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

1. Under Programs, right-click the CMD.exe icon, and then click Run as administrator.
  2. When the User Account Control box appears, click Yes.
  3. At the command prompt, enter the following command, and then press Enter:netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txtNote If you don't want to specify a directory path for the log file, run the following command instead:netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
  4. Restart the computer.

On the other hand it maybe you accidently unchecked ipv4 in your network card setup.  You appear to only be getting a ipv6 ip address via dhcp. 

It is incorrect to list the router {gateway} for WINS. It is not a wins server.  You need to edit that on the Wins tab of your cards setup.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 10 August 2015 - 05:06 PM.

#12 m0rph

m0rph

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:06 PM

Hi there,

One thing I would check if you are getting an ip conflict.

Log in to all of the boxes you have connected to the network, so modem if poss, router, wireless extender, you want to make sure that only the router is giving you an IP address or that the address ranges being leased aren't overlapping.

As the others have said you must look in to the device manager flagged device, it may be the wireless device because from your screen capture it is listing the wired one and it would not show it at all.

#13 Steevo1990

Steevo1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:57 PM

Hello again all,

I unplugged my extender from the router and wala I now have Internet. So it is my exteneder that is givin me the problem. Do I follow Wand3r3r's steps to fix this problem with my extender plugged in?

#14 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:22 PM

logon to your router and look at what the dhcp server scope is.  usually .100 to .254.  If so give your extender .10

otherwise tell us what your dhcp scope of ip addresses is and we can advise you.

#15 m0rph

m0rph

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:17 AM

Don't half the dhcp scopes on such a small setup set to assign from the router only and disable all the rest, if you have a problem again you know where to go straight away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users