Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some advice with choosing a mobo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 saberkal

saberkal

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:31 AM

So i am planning to buy a new mobo.Here are my thoughts.

-Socket : LGA 1150

-Chipset : z97

-MicroAtx(preferably)/I think my box can fit ATX too!!

-32 GB Memory(16 is fined too but i havent seen any 16 GB boards with these specs)

I've read that z97 chipset is good for overclocking.

-Sata 6Gb/s.I have seen some mobos with 8 Gb/s .Will it make that much of a difference?i think not.

-Dual channel of course.

-M.2 socket is not  a priority as i am using an SSD.

-I am not planning using the SLI/Crossfire

-Also eSata/mSata is not necessary

-Onboard Audio .Its a must!

-Onboard Video.I was searching for mobos without onboard video card and i found a few.It is useless?I would never use it any way!

I made a reasearch on the market and i ended up with this choice : http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Anniversary/

I also have read that this post about this motherboard and i started having second thoughts about making the purchase.Here is the post :

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/asrock-z97-anniversary-motherboard/

What is your opinion or your choice...Any advice ?Thanks in advance!

Edited by saberkal, 11 August 2015 - 05:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:07 PM

How much did you want to spend?  Do you want ATX microATX etc..Max memory needed?

Typically I would only buy ASUS MSI GIGABYTE or ASROCK motherboards.  That review you found really says nothing in conclusion about it being a bad board.  Are there better boards? Sure and you will pay for it too.

#3 saberkal

saberkal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:49 AM

How much did you want to spend?  Do you want ATX microATX etc..Max memory needed?

Typically I would only buy ASUS MSI GIGABYTE or ASROCK motherboards.  That review you found really says nothing in conclusion about it being a bad board.  Are there better boards? Sure and you will pay for it too.

Edited!! My box can fit both micro ATX and ATX 32 GB memory i think. I can spend around 150 Euros on a mobo but i think it is too much for a mobo!!I chose that mobo because it has only the features i am going to use atm.

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:06 PM

Based on your needs look at this list.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 saberkal

saberkal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:27 PM

Based on your needs look at this list.

It is LGA 1150

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:53 AM

Double check the CPU compatibility before buying, but I suggest the following:

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H LGA 1150 Intel Z97

I'm not as familiar with European resellers so you may need to look around for similar boards if you are in continental Europe.  If you are in the UK, that site I link to above has a site for those residents.  You may also want to consider the GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3 (rev. 2.0) LGA 1150 Intel Z97 as it is one of the least expensive boards from a good brand.

3939.png

#7 saberkal

saberkal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:47 PM

Double check the CPU compatibility before buying, but I suggest the following:

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H LGA 1150 Intel Z97

I'm not as familiar with European resellers so you may need to look around for similar boards if you are in continental Europe.  If you are in the UK, that site I link to above has a site for those residents.  You may also want to consider the GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3 (rev. 2.0) LGA 1150 Intel Z97 as it is one of the least expensive boards from a good brand.

Well the first two options are way of expensive in my country.The third one seems appealing and good on budget but it is not the chipeste im looking for!! I am mostly looking for something descrete!!I mean why my choise is worse than your suggestion if you know what i mean.Tnx for your help!

Edit : I made a bigger search on the mobos you posted and i  think Ga Ud5h would be a good choice.I need time to investigate further :D

Edited by saberkal, 12 August 2015 - 02:08 PM.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:52 AM

By discrete, do you mean you want exclusively microATX?  MicroATX has its uses in standard home PC's and HTPC's, but in a performance-oriented PC, you may want a standard ATX board since the components are more spaced out and can dissipate heat better.  ASRock boards are sort like Asus' budget brand and some of their circuit boards can be a bit thin.  Gigabyte and Asus are considered two of the better brands with quality components, that's not to say you won't get a dead-on-arrival board, but they work well.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users