Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just a cursor at the top??

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jake21

jake21

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:58 AM

Turned on my DELL this morning.....Windows 7 OS....all I have is a screen with a blinking cursor n the top left hand corner..the OS does not load. I tried a different monitor and it shows the same thing  I cant get to BIOS or any keyboard command,etc. Ideas??

Edited by jake21, 10 August 2015 - 09:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:26 AM

Hi Jake21 ^_^,

Have you tried leaving the system idle for a while?

By not able to access BIOS, does that mean that you are not seeing the BIOS loading at all? Have you tried using another Keyboard?

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#3 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:03 PM

I let the system sit idle for 3 hours....and re-tried. ...same result. Just a blinking cursor in the  upper left hand of the screen. I am not seeing the BIOS option at all when I start the machine. This computer is only 2-3 years old. I have not tried a new keyboard, but will do and report back if I see anything there. Thanks again...appreciate any and ALL help on this one.....

#4 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:12 PM

Switched keyboards....same result....

Tried putting a WINDOWS 7 DVD in the drive and booting....same result.

Any ideas appreciated..thanks again.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:13 AM

If it's a laptop, try removing the battery and the power cord (and anything else plugged into it).  Then hold the power button down for 30 seconds.

Then put the power cord and battery back in and see if it starts.

Desktop is similar, but without the battery.  HP says 15 seconds but I've been taught 30 seconds

Here's the HP instruction page:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

Edited by usasma, 11 August 2015 - 01:37 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:17 AM

It's a desktop...I tried the re-set as you mentioned. When the computer turned on, I got a quick burst of fan, and all lights stayed on , on the front panel. It then went to the cursor up in the left hand corner and black screen. Appreciate the help....can you think of anything else.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:26 AM

What happens if you keep tapping F12 when you turn it on?  Anything on the screen?

If so, you may be able to try the Dell diagnostics from there.

IMO this sounds like a hardware failure - most likely the hard drive.  But this is just a SWAG (Scientific Wild A**ed Guess).

Try disconnecting the hard drive (after removing the power cord and grounding yourself on the case).
Disconnect both cables to the hard drive and see what happens when you boot.  If you can see the Dell logo, then it was likely the hard drive causing the problem.

If that doesn't work,then try removing the RAM (again, removing the power cord and grounding yourself on the case).

Try one stick in the first slot (you choose which is the first slot).  Then try the rest of the sticks, individually, in the first slot (remember the power/ground thing).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:21 AM

Thanks...great ideas!! I too suspected the hard drive failure. My guess would be the computer cannot load the startup files,etc. I tried the f12 and no response. Today, I will try the disconnect on the hard drive and see what we have....If I don't see the DELL logo, I'll try the RAM removal. Big, big tip of the hat to ya.....will post results later today....again big Thank you!!

#9 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:47 AM

SUCCESS !!!!

Disconnected the Hard Drive....still no Dell Logo, still had cursor in upper left hand corner with black screen

Removed RAM, one by one and re-arranged. I put one stick of memory in.....booted up ok

Then I put another.....it was ok..

Then number 3 slot...it was ok.

When I put the last piece of memory in, the computer went back to the cursor with no Dell Logo,etc.

Took out the last piece of memory and computer runs fine....boots to windows,etc. Amazing what a bad piece of memory can do..

Thanks for takin a little time to  help me along.....it's all good now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:30 PM

I'm glad that you were able to figure it out!

Thanks for letting us know.

#11 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:00 PM

My first stop for help with computer problems......thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users