Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe flash alternative

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jcmack

jcmack

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:25 AM

I'm running WIN7 Utimate 32bit on an old Dell GX280. It slow but works for my purposes. I upgraded this PC from XP last year. I use Firefox as my browser now and with in the past with XP. my problem is Adobe flash player crashes a lot with both OS's.  Is there an alternative player that will preform the same function?

Thanks, Jim

Edited by hamluis, 10 August 2015 - 12:35 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:52 PM

Are you aware that Firefox now blocks Flash by default? Check out the link. The alternative is to use Chrome which uses HTML by default.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/14/firefox-blocks-flash/

#3 jcmack

jcmack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

No, I was not aware of that. Since that's the case I'll find a way around it.

Thanks for reply and info, Jim

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:18 PM

Is your firefox install current?

I use firefox exclusively.....I do not have flash activated ...and everything i touch in youtube etc plays

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 jcmack

jcmack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:32 PM

I use firefox exclusively.....I do not have flash activated ...and everything i touch in youtube etc play

I use firefox exclusively.....I do not have flash activated ...and everything i touch in youtube etc plays

Yes the install is up to date. I deleted flash then re installed it. Even shut off hardware acceleration in flash. Still no joy.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:39 PM

maybe an addon not playing nice with Flash....disable all your add ons ....and just leave the flash player plug in activated...Still happening ?

What do you actually need Flash for ?....some specific program ?

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#7 jcmack

jcmack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:49 PM

What do you actually need Flash for ?....some specific program ?

Utube

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:13 PM

Same here...

In win 7 using firefox I had no problem at all....the html play thingy seemed to play at least 90% of you tube stuff i clicked on.....(sometimes on a news site a video would not play and i would have to activate flash)

if this a recent thing, you might try going back to an earlier version of firefox......or try the disabling addons

#9 Anon.

Anon.

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:19 PM

Different browsers use different types of flash plugin. E.g. Chrome uses the (PPAPI) flash plugin. So is Opera.

Firefox uses the (NPAPI) flash plugin. So you need to have that specific plugin architecture for working in Firefox.

What you'd do is un-install completely the Adobe Flash which is currently installed in your system.

Then download the (NPAPI) Flash plugin for Firefox from here: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html

This is an official site of adobe, so no worries.

Scroll to the bottom & look under "Still having problems?" - there is link for "Flash Player for Firefox - NPAPI".

Click on the link, download and install. Restart Firefox. The flash should work correctly.

Edited by Anon., 13 August 2015 - 01:46 PM.

#10 jcmack

jcmack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

My appologies for not getting back sooner to thank you all for info, interest, and instructions. On the 12th or 13th I added a second drive to clone "c" over to it and managed to blow both drives. I done this process a lot of times and this accident was a first. A sane man would have bought a newer computer but it's become a challange keeping the old Dell running. I used an old drive with a six month old backup on it and I'm back in Bidness. Last couple days are crash  free so we'll see how it goes.

Again thanks to all for your time and knowledge presented on this thread.

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users