Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

creating a photo

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tangles

tangles

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:58 AM

Hi, I have just become a member to try and find an easy way to create a photo for a friend. Firstly I am not very computer literate and, secondly I cant afford to buy an expensive software package.

I have taken several photos of a Koi fish and I wish to extract the fish and put it on a nice background.
Can anybody help with a free program and advice on how to do it.
I would be extremely grateful.

Edit: Moved topic from Photo Albums, Images, and Videos to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:48 PM

There are lots of guides out there on how to do this.  Start by downloading gimp.  It is free.  How to crop an image with GIMP

#3 tangles

tangles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:37 AM

thanks for that but maybe because im a senior or the medication but I just cant grasp this. Ive even been on youtube to follow the tutorials but I cant hear what they are saying. Is there a nice kind person out there in cyber land that would enhance a picture of a Koi for me so I can get it printed and give it to a close friend.

If not dont worry I will persevere hahaha.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:38 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/picrequests

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:47 PM

If you care to upload this picture to any hosting site - Dropbox, Imagur, Google, whoever - and post the link to it here I'll have a go at it for you. I have some software designed specially for this purpose.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Graham Smith

Graham Smith

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:45 AM

Try with pixlr

#7 tangles

tangles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:38 AM

Chris sorry for taking so long to reply. Here is the link to the Koi picture. I intend to have it printed on canvas about 500mm wide so I need all the colours need to be solid. I hope you or someone else can help.

http://imgur.com/Fq9nbgU

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:49 PM

That is quite a fish !  I'm having problems downloading it at the moment - Imgur is overloaded - but I'll have a look at it tomorrow, Wednesday. Because of the Imgur problems I don't know if I am looking at the complete picture or not but it looks as if you have cut out or missed the bottom of the front right fin (I have no idea what the technical term is !). Do you by any chance have an image showing the complete fish in all its glory or is it just that the image I am seeing on Imgut is cropped ?

You should get together with NickAU - he's into fish and fishtanks as well !

Chris Cosgrove

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:14 AM

Got it this  morning, no problems. Obviously about midnight UK is not a good time for working with Imgur. Have a look at this :-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6n3z7y9e3dn5em/Koi%20transparent%20background%203.png?dl=0

Couple of points. I am no sort of expert on fish !  I have had to do a bit of guessing in the area under its mouth because the background and the fish were virtually identical colours. Extraction software works mainly on distinctions of shade and colour so some of it has to be done manually. If I have got the shape wrong let me know and I will have another go at it.

The other main thing, and I hope you won't take this wrongly, technically it's not a terribly good photograph or else it got seriously reduced uploading it to Imgur. The resolution, as I downloaded it at supposedly full resolution, is only 1086 pixcels wide and, as I said in my previous post, bits of it are not in the picture. If you are planning on printing this at 500mm, approximately A3, it's going to look a bit blurred. If you have a higher resolution image, preferably containing the whole fish, upload it and let me have the link and I will try again.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 tangles

tangles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:25 AM

Chris many thanks I'll see if I can get a better picture. I see what you meen.

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users