Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need minecraft laptop, how are these specs?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kriscoop

kriscoop

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:54 AM

Hi all

I know you've heard the minecraft question a billion times...I feel like choosing a laptop to purchase for my son to play minecraft on could be a life-long project!!

I have found this laptop (on sale for $629.99) and it appears to meet the requirements of a decent minecraft machine:

Toshiba Satellite S55-B5155 Intel Core i7-5500U BROADWELL 15.6in 1080p Notebook Computer

• Intel Core i7-5500U 2.4GHz (3GHz Turbo Boost) Dual-Core BROADWELL CPU
  • 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 802.11AC WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0
  • Windows 8.1 operating system
  • AMD Radeon R7 M260 2GB DDR3 discrete graphics w/ HDMI
  • 2x USB 3.0, flash media card slot, 4-cell battery
  • Weighs 4.85lbs, 15.6" 1366x768 LED LCD display

Thoughts? Would it be a good machine for minecraft or a so-so machine for minecraft?

Or take pity on me and recommend a good laptop for minecraft for less than $850 :)

Thank you for taking the time to read and help!!

--kristin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:10 AM

I play minecraft mostly without lag on a 1.8ghz dual core i3, so a turbo boosting i7 should be plenty. The only issue i've had is thermal throttling, when the cpu usage goes up and the cpu heats up. This causes windows to throttle down the cpu to 900mhz after about an hour and a half, so make sure that the laptop has good cooling.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:41 AM

Hello Kristin. 

The MSI Leopard is a much better performer And you can use some of that 850.00 to get a 120GB SSD for the OS that will make things even more faster than the Toshiba.  The GTX 850m is almost twice as fast gpu than the Amd R7 260m.

#4 kriscoop

kriscoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:32 AM

oy! first off, thank you both for your comments/suggestions!

2nd, I'm pretty sure my head has exploded already...

YeahBleeping, I was skeptical at first, I was not familiar with MSI, but I looked into the brand and it does look like a good choice.  I will take some time to look at the bazilion options...

Thanks for the alternative suggestion!

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:49 PM

Remember .. all the options are just to make it look pretty.  Just get what you need (SSD) would be a great step up.  The rest is just .. trying to get you to spend more.

#6 kriscoop

kriscoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:23 PM

Remember .. all the options are just to make it look pretty.  Just get what you need (SSD) would be a great step up.  The rest is just .. trying to get you to spend more.

but it could be soooo pretty! ;)

yeah, I'll try to refrain...the SSD upgrade is good, and I might also include a cooling upgrade? his current machine has a real problem with getting too hot...

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:34 PM

I agree a cooling upgrade would be a good choice.  Laptops are invariabley hotter running than desktops.

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:13 AM

If you are concerned about the laptop overheating, buy a cooling table. They are relatively cheap and easy to use.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users