Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting printers from remote desktop connection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 redbulldog

redbulldog

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:38 AM

In my office, one user uses Remote Desktop Connection from his Windows 7 computer to remotely log into our File and Print server (2008 R2) in order to use accounting software which is on the server.  There are about 30 printers installed on the server but he only uses 2 of them.  He asked me if I could delete the printers he doesn't use so there is less clutter for him.  Now I don't want to delete the printers completely from the server, because other people have to use them.  I only want to delete them from his remote desktop connection so that he only sees 2 of them when he connects.  Is it possible to do this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:56 PM

Sure, you can delete the following connection he doesnt want in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Connections and then fire up services.msc then click action and conenct to another computer.

Then connectto his services and restart the print Spooler service and it will remove all the conenctions.

#3 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:20 PM

In this case you are trying to use a print and file server as a terminal services server. Can you do what JohnnyJammer suggested? Yes, but please keep in mind you are trying to use your server for a purpose other than what it was originally built.

The print server should have all the printers installed. It should not be a server that users interactively log into.

The terminal services server can host software users need to interactively log into to run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users