Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac or Windows?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hercules2905

Hercules2905

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:38 AM

So my dad has this new Macbook pro retina 2014 with bleep awesome specifications for gaming.

Currently I use my Dell Inspiron 15 which has 4 gigs of RAM,AMD Radeon HD 8730M, intel i5 3337U which has been serving me well so far but I was thinking of upgrading my gaming platform to be able to play new better games and along came this macbook.

It's a dilemma, should I upgrade my dell laptops RAM and continue on it or switch to the mac ( on which I will install windows10) for which I will have to buy a new HDD since 256 GB wont suffice for gaming.Will 8 GB of RAM on my Dell be good enough for gaming?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:35 AM

That is for you alone to decide. Some like Mac others like Windows and vice a versa.  Suggest a trip into a computer shop and try each to make the big decision. I have both a W laptop and a Mac book air laptop and some things on Windows I like and others I don't and the same goes for Apple. So good luck with the big decision. Other members will no doubt have more positive ideas than myself so hang here for a while and wait for ideas that will soon appear here.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:18 PM

I say to hell with apple bull, they are overpriced, hard to upgrade and really not worth a dime.

If you want a good computer you dont have to go far, heck you can learn to build your own as building your own is not only satisfying but much easier then it sounds.

Also it can give you a better computer then any OEM.

Also linux, look it up if you want a good alternate OS as linux is not only free but easy to use.

Edited by MadmanRB, 10 August 2015 - 02:19 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:02 PM

@#1..IMHO whether you build your own, purchase retail: the minute your finished searching, buying, building...everything becomes obsolete!

In reality the bottom line for most of us is cash.  If you have bucks to spend, then it's really easy to continue to upgrade or replace!

PC..works just superb for most!

Mac..works really awesome for most!

Gaming and RAM...if I were you I'd post that in gaming or internal hardware.  It's my experience that RAM actually would not be your own factor in enjoying an incredible machine for gaming. The entire system has to work together..slow power supply, problems. Slow CPU..lack of graphic card support. 

I've built my own..now it's like worn sneakers! Laces can be replaced, however the canvas tears and can't be fixed.

In my journey with computers, any OS has it's own flavor.  Just like cars!  Who needs a V8 to go 5 miles to Target; however an electric car makes good sense.  

@Madman..I looked under my bed and you weren't there!  However..whadda know, an Asus gaming laptop and a Macbook Pro. Why not?

@Hercules2905 ~ keep asking and asking!  If you have a Fry's close, it's brilliant to spend time hanging out, investigating what pieces of the computer puzzle will really get you revving! Having the hands on learning about the components allows you to make a much better choice when buying retail. Good luck!

Self edit: spelling

Edited by softeyes, 11 August 2015 - 08:04 PM.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:47 PM

So my dad has this new Macbook pro retina 2014 with bleep awesome specifications for gaming.
Currently I use my Dell Inspiron 15 which has 4 gigs of RAM,AMD Radeon HD 8730M, intel i5 3337U which has been serving me well so far but I was thinking of upgrading my gaming platform to be able to play new better games and along came this macbook.
It's a dilemma, should I upgrade my dell laptops RAM and continue on it or switch to the mac ( on which I will install windows10) for which I will have to buy a new HDD since 256 GB wont suffice for gaming.Will 8 GB of RAM on my Dell be good enough for gaming?

I will note that I don't believe that anyone currently makes an upgrade SSD for the 2014 rMBPs (OWC has made versions for past models, but don't sell one yet for the 2014 or newer models), so you will likely be stuck with the 256 GB internal drive for now. You can use an external drive...either USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users