Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix taking very long for scan on my fast computer?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Greenfish6

Greenfish6

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:56 AM

I am confident that I can run combofix smoothly, I have done that before on my computer, and it has worked well, my computer is very adequate for it with 8 gb ram. However, when I ran the recent version from 8/8, the initial scan glitched on stage 48, it has been on this stage for about an hour, and everything before that took half an hour, going far over the typical 10 minute prediction. Has something gone wrong?

Edited by hamluis, 10 August 2015 - 05:32 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:47 AM

It usually takes 10 minutes, on infected machine even more than that. You should not do anything while scan is running, it may cause program to stall. Same for opened windows, only ComboFix should work.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:36 AM

In most cases ComboFix should not take more than 20 minutes to complete its routine if malware is detected. However, in some cases it could take longer depending on a variety of factors. If a system is badly infected, ComboFix may take more time to complete all it's routines (various stages) than it normally does or fail to run properly. There are also circumstances ComboFix will hang, crash or stall at various stages due to malware interference, failure to disable other real-time protection tools or the presence of CD Emulators (Daemon Tools, Alchohol 120%, Astroburn, AnyDVD, etc) so that it takes longer to run or may not complete successfully. While that is not normal behavior, it is not unusual.

As a general policy, Bleeping Computer does not offer advice on how to run ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it or if there is a problem with the computer caused by running the tool. This is because people should not be using ComboFix without being advised to do so by a trained expert (see here) who is assisting them deal with a malware problem.

If the scan will not complete or stalls (hangs)...using Task Manager to stop ComboFix's related process usually is enough to abort it.

Open Task Manager and look for the following ComboFix related processes (some have a .3XE extension):
  • PEV.exe
  • NirCmd.3XE
  • PEV.3XE
  • SED
  • GREP
  • any file that has the extension *.3XE except CF*****.3XE <- do not end this process
One at a time, right-click and select End Process. If doing that did not free ComboFix and allow it to continue, then you will need to reboot the computer manually.

If you need further assistance with a malware infection, please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.
When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users