Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updates

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rozzer

rozzer

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:04 AM

Hi

I checked my wife's Windows 8.0/8.1 to-day for updates as I usually do because I disable and enable them again which she is not sure of, anyway because of all the recent concerns over security in Windows 10 I think I am becoming paranoid.

She has 3 important updates (not critical) and are:-

1) KB 2267602 177.1MB & this is for Windows Defender and once installed cannot be uninstalled.

2) MS-keyboard & other hardware & USB keyboard, there is no KB number and cannot get access to more info .....it says oops! Unable to connect (convenient )

3) MS-pointing Drawing & MS mouse, no KB number and cannot get info or access as above! (hmmm)

Any advice would be welcomed

Regards Rozzer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:35 AM

If updates done normally then you no need to worry. If problems comes after geeting update liek system froze or some other point of view problem. You can easily done it better and restore your system to earlier time.

#3 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:15 AM

This is a normal update and can be installed (I have)

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.203.1791.0)
Download size: 181 KB
More information: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/about/overview.mspx
Help and Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661

Often downloads only have a description and not a KB number

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#4 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:49 AM

Hi Guys

Thanks for your input, the more information link is unavailable again to me and I have cookies enabled.

I have however decided to not install them just yet as I still do not trust them, it is not beyond the realms

of possibility that updates of any kind can be a trigger for a future forced upgrade to Windows 10.

Call me mad, that's fine! :crazy:

Cheers all

Regards Rozzer

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:01 AM

Hi rozzer :)

If your wife is using Windows Defender as her Antivirus, I strongly suggest you to download and install the first update, since it's a definition update. Without it, your wife's computer will be more vulnerable. As for the two others, these are driver updates, I personally never install them via Windows Update since they are known to cause issues, so I would leave them be.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

Hi Aura

Thanks a million for your info, she uses Avast so I will leave the Defender story too.

Reading the forums etc I have now also discovered that I had CEIP activated and now

thanks to you guys I have disabled that in her PC (not sure I should call it a PC anymore)

it seems a though nothing is 'Personal'

Once again Thanks

Rozzer

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:58 AM

No problem Rozzer, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users