Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shouldn't I be able to print wirelessly through my DSL modem alone?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:02 PM

Currently, it wont. I have to save a web page then disconnect from my DSL network, then connect to my d-link home network (which I'd like to eliminate) then print.

I think when I first installed the DSL modem it printed while I was on line.

I have a Samsung 2165W wireless printer, which I see in my 'available networks' icon in Win 7.

I have to admit, I'm really bad at networks so I'm probably missing something really simple. I'd go wired-printer but I don't want to leave the seldom used nearby desktop running as I only would like to print under 10 pages a week.

Thanks.

Edited by brian2009, 09 August 2015 - 09:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:36 PM

How is your network wired? Make and model of the DSL modem and DLink router?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:53 AM

What happens if you don't switch networks?

Can the machines on your home network connect to the Internet?

How do you want to eliminate the d-link network?

My guess is that you're connecting to the DSL (which doesn't provide wireless) and the d-link (what you're using to add wireless) is operating as a router preventing you, as it should, from accessing the network behind it.  If that is the case then you use the router as a wireless access point (WAP)

#4 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:24 AM

My dsl modem is wireless. My D-Link is wireless. My printer is wireless.

I don't specifically want to eliminate the d-link. I just want to be able to print while on-line.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:32 PM

Since they don't make wireless modems your modem is a router.  Most likely its doing dhcp.  if you connected the dlink to the modem router by its wan port then it most likely is doing dhcp in a different subnet.  This means you have two different subnets/networks.  Depending on which you connect to and which your printer is on will decide if you can print or not.

Now if you follow this guide for setting up the 2nd router you won't have this issue since everything will be on the same network.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/3001-connecting-additional-routers/

Edited by Wand3r3r, 10 August 2015 - 05:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users