Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something Using Resources: Computer is HOT

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GenericDNA

GenericDNA

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:27 PM

Hello BleepingComputer forums! Recently I've noticed that my PC is scorching hot and the fans sound like they're trying get the thing to fly. Using CPUID HWMonitor it shows my core temps at around 190 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm legitimately concerned that it's going to burst into flames. I've tried to hunt down what's making it run so hard via task manager and haven't had any consistent success. A few times I've popped task manager open and seen a slew of Service Host things sucking up my CPU and memory, but it doesn't always show that when I look. I'm really not sure what the hell is going on or if this is even posted in the right section. Maybe it's a hardware problem and not security? So far to try and fix it I've ran MalwareBytes a ton of times and it hasn't found much. I was going to follow along with an old forum post I found with more or less the same problem, but then I thought I should probably just get help and not risk killing my computer. Just in case, I've backed everything remotely important up and I'm prepared to wipe the whole thing if need be. Although obviously I would rather fix the issue. The PC is a Toshiba Satellite P75-A running Windows 8.1 64 bit. Any and all help would be dearly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:41 PM

Did you try a different antivirus (like avast! preferably)? Are there any programs in the Control Panel that you do not remember installing and/or sound fishy to you?

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 GenericDNA

GenericDNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:18 PM

Avast! says no threats and everything under programs is something I installed. I don't know what (if any) difference it makes, but I restarted my computer and it came up with a blue screen and an Attempted Switch from DPC error. Everything is still running hot. Just hit 200 degrees.

#4 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:22 PM

I'm not sure how much more I can help you, but did you install any drivers recently or RAM?

Source: http://www.reviversoft.com/blog/2014/04/a-guide-to-the-attempted-switch-from-dpc-blue-screen-of-death-error-2/

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 GenericDNA

GenericDNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:43 PM

No. There hasn't been any real big changes to the pc in a long time. I think I might do a factory reset and then dismantle and clean the fan. If you're out of ideas and my Malware and Antivirus don't see anything, I don't know what the problem would be.

Edited by GenericDNA, 09 August 2015 - 08:43 PM.

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:51 PM

Maybe you should get a hair dryer and blow it all around the insides. You'll be surprised at how much dust comes out.

#7 GenericDNA

GenericDNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:52 PM

That very well could be the problem. I'll clean it out real good and go from there. Thanks for the help regardless!

#8 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:53 PM

No problem! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users