Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS Update Assistance

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Animalthewolf

Animalthewolf

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:37 PM

Information about my PC, Motherboard, and BIOS can be found below this post in image form.

So, I'm having some issues updating my BIOS. The  The biggest issue? I'm not sure what .bios/.bin file to use for the update. As you can see (from the images), my Motherboard reports as being a "Foxconn H67S/H61SP". What's confusing is that on the Foxconn support site, there is a section for chipset H61 and H67.

After selecting the chipset, you have to select the model. When selecting H61, the closest model listing to mine is H61S, but not H61SP. When selecting H67 as the chipset, the closest model listing to mine is H67S.

If you look at the more detailed specs for the Mobo (images again), the southbridge model is H61. Is this the actual chipset model? Should I be using H61S as the model number under the H61 chipset listing?

Please help, I've only got the one board and really don't want to brick it.

Thanks for any information you can provide! 

Foxconn Support - Downloads: http://www.foxconnsupport.com/download.aspx

PC Info:

2015_08_09_16_20_36_Piriform_Speccy.png

Make & Model: Custom Build

Motherboard and BIOS Info:

2015_08_09_16_24_42_Piriform_Speccy.png

2015_08_09_16_39_17_AFUWINGUI_v_3_07_00.

Edited by Animalthewolf, 09 August 2015 - 07:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:14 AM

Is this an Asus laptop?  If so what model ?  You should upgrade the bios from the file you would get from the computer manufacturer'.

#3 Animalthewolf

Animalthewolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:00 AM

Is this an Asus laptop?  If so what model ?  You should upgrade the bios from the file you would get from the computer manufacturer'.

No. This is a parts PC. I built it out of parts that were laying around and given to me. 

Edited by Animalthewolf, 11 August 2015 - 12:00 AM.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:12 AM

First question, why do you want to update your BIOS? Are you having problems?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Animalthewolf

Animalthewolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:53 PM

First question, why do you want to update your BIOS? Are you having problems?

Yes. Since win 8, when pressing F7 to access the Boot Options menu, I get thrown out of it. Windows just continues to boot without ever giving me my boot options. 

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:12 PM

That is because the F7 feature is disabled in win 8.

#7 Animalthewolf

Animalthewolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:13 PM

Oh wow... Well, I guess this explains it. I suppose I'll just use the setup menu whenever I need to boot from an alternative device, then. 

Only other reason to update my BIOS now would be that it's out-of-date, but seeing as it works fine and updating is risky... I think we can call this a closed case.

Edited by Animalthewolf, 12 August 2015 - 08:14 PM.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:34 AM

Sorry for jumping in here, but just a thought:  It appears that you have a Foxconn board; let me warn you that Foxconn is a jobber located in the Pacific Rim who makes motherboards for large manufacturers; they price-point low to get the mass-production contracts and the quality level follows. They specialize in low-cost, junk boards. HP, for example, is one of their largest customers among others. Most of the failed boards that come over my bench are Foxconn. The more you mess with them the more chances you take, double-especially with older ones. Their customer service at best is non-existent and at worst any information they post may be incorrect. I have wasted hours trying to get any meaningful information out of them via their website or e-mail.

They may have a model number, but be very careful because they will have sub-serial model numbers of that model depending on who ordered what from them; it can be very confusing.  IOW, they can sell the same basic model to several different manufacturers with variations on them, depending on what the manufacturer wants, and assign each one a different sub-model number so they have  record of which board went to which manufacturer. 

The adage applies here:  if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :cowboy: 

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users