Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crash

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Duriel

Duriel

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:58 PM

my spec:s Intel core i5 4690k, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750ti, Asus H97-plus motherboard,8GB Ram (2x4GB Hyper DDR3)

my problem: When I start a game that requires a little bit more power after a few minutes (1-10) I get a blackscreen for about 2seconds and then my computer "crashes" and makes a full restart. I dont know why it happens but I cant paly any game that requires the graphic card to work a bit more. I tried it about 13 times in the game "Nosgoth" and it crashes every time always randomly in the first 10 minutes and then I tried  it in CS:GO and the same happend. 

I hope someone can help me because I realy want to play some good games.

Greetings

Duriel

Edited by Duriel, 09 August 2015 - 05:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:49 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Crashes like this when gaming are often due to problems with cooling, by no means always but it is usually the first suspect, so do the simple things first. Check all the fans are working and clean; that the CPU and video card heat sinks are clean and dust free and that all the relevant power connectors are connected.

Note :-  If the CPU heat sink is clogged with dust etc. you will almost certainly have to dismount the heat sink from the CPU. If this becomes necessary you will have to clean the mating surfaces between the heat sink and the CPU and put a new thin smear of heat sink paste on one of the two faces before you reassemble. This is IMPORTANT !

Check the above and clean as necessary. If you are still getting crashes, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Duriel

Duriel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:51 PM

thanks for the reply but it can't be the fans. I build the computer 2 days ago and I have a software which shows the heat and it doesnt go over 40C°... and the power cables are all connected. 

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:42 PM

You didn't say anything about two days old !  So unless you keep it at the bottom of a coalmine it's not likely to be dirt !

Do you have on-board video as well as the 750 card ?  If you do, swap over to the on-board video and see if you are getting the same problems there. If you are, it suggests the problem is related to the mobo, if you don't, then it's probably related to the 750 card.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Duriel

Duriel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:43 PM

I fear the games wont work with the integrated graphic card... but I can try it thanks :D

#6 Duriel

Duriel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:03 PM

WOW, thanks for the advice, I could play 4 game without crashing so it has to be the graphic card.... but is it broken or is it something like it does not get enought power or so. And how can I figure that out?

Edited by Duriel, 09 August 2015 - 10:25 PM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:01 AM

Assuming that this card is like the rest virtually brand new all you can really do is check the obvious things :-  that it is seated properly; that all the power connections are correctly made; and that its cooling fan, if it has one, is working properly. If all these are correct then it is time to speak to your supplier about a warranty claim. You really cannot do anything else without risking breaching the warranty conditions.

For an older card, ie one out of warranty, I would suggest dismounting the fan and heat sink and replacing the thermal paste but do not do that to a brand new one !

Chris Cosgrove

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:14 AM

If this card still doesn't work, you probably want to rma (return to manufacturer) this chip.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 Duriel

Duriel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:13 PM

I don't think that I can rma the card because I bought it in my vacation in USA (currently I live in peru). The support from the game said that it has to be the PSU, that my graffic card does not get enought electricity. Can that be?

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:19 PM

According to the specs for this card it is not very power demanding -

Thermal and Power Specs:
95 C Maximum GPU Temperature (in C)
60 W Graphics Card Power (W)

300 W Minimum System Power Requirement (W)   you can find the specs here :-

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750-ti/specifications

You don't say what PSU you have but there are not many that wouldn't meet the mininums.  What you need to do is add up the maximum power draws of every component in your system - the mobo and CPU, hard drives, CD/DVD drives, audio, video - everything and add about 100 W on top this will allow a margin for future expansion. Then see if your present PSU meets this power requirement. If it does it almost certainly isn't the PSU, if it doesn't, or only just meets it without the extra 100W it may well be.

As you can see, I do not live in the Americas so I am not too well informed on warranty procedures there but I would not have thought that the fact that you live in Peru would affect your rights in the USA where you bought the card. It might well cost a bit for postage though. I am going to see if I can get a second opinion on this question of the PSU.

Post back with details of your PSU - make, model and power rating. I've asked Jonuk76 to have a look at this.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 10 August 2015 - 06:26 PM.

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:08 PM

Hi, yes do come back with the details of the power supply you are using.  It does sound like that could be an issue.  If it's something like a cheap "generic" model,  it may well be the problem.  Some of them are very bad quality (cheap, poor quality 250w units mis-labelled as 500w for example).

You don't say what software you are using, but HWMonitor monitors your GPU and CPU temperatures and records the peak values reached.  It may be useful to help keep an eye on what is going on.  Beware some sensors are not read correctly on some motherboards, but the GPU and CPU core temp values should be accurate.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users