Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a spell cheker hear somewhere?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 harryhh

harryhh

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:05 PM

Is there a spell checker for this site? My typing and spelling is pretty bad.

Harry

Edited by harryhh, 09 August 2015 - 04:10 PM.

Can't keep up with the computer stuff anymore. It's getting beyond me.  :mellow:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:22 PM

Google Chrome has a built in spell checker.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:26 PM

So does Firefox

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#4 harryhh

harryhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:28 PM

Thanks gigawert,

I use Firefox. Lately been thinking of trying Chrome. But, I guess that means that you don't know of this site having a spell checker either.

Can't keep up with the computer stuff anymore. It's getting beyond me.  :mellow:

#5 harryhh

harryhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:29 PM

FireFox has one? I really need to keep up on computer things, but am no longer able too.

Is the spell checker on FF an addon?

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:30 PM

Thanks gigawert,

I use Firefox. Lately been thinking of trying Chrome. But, I guess that means that you don't know of this site having a spell checker either.

FYI, Chrome is much faster than Firefox because of the lower memory usage. No, I don't think this website has a spell checker.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#7 harryhh

harryhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:32 PM

Yeah. I have some beef with Google. It's been years and I don't remember what, still I stick with it. :guitar:

#8 harryhh

harryhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:39 PM

In my FF, Check spelling is checked. Maybe that's why I usually have spellcheck. I didn't realize/remembe where it came from . I do remember most sites had there kown spell check to click on.

Any why, spell check is not working here. I'll look in to that. Maybe it's not working anywhere now.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:44 PM

Perhaps this will help:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-use-firefox-spell-checker

Note that it checks spelling only in text boxes and only after you've gone to the next line of text.  Also, no spell checker will flag an incorrect word.  For example, in your title, "hear" should be "here", but because "hear" is a properly spelled word, it won't flag it.

And one other thing, the spell checker won't work if Rich Text Editor is enabled.  To disable it, click on the little symbol at the top left.  That will change the editor to text only.  All the other icons, however, will be grayed out.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#10 harryhh

harryhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:20 PM

Thanks Orange Blossom,

In my title I was making a joke. But, my spelling and typing are bad. That's shown in my last couple of posts where I was trying to type quickly to keep up with the replies.

When you mentioned that FF had a spell checker, I did a search and found the same page you pointed to. Thanks.

I just clicked on the thing in the corner and my spell check works again. :smash:  Now I just have to remember to not use rich text. I check settings, it might be an automatic setting in there.

Thank a lot folks,
Harry

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:29 PM

You're quite welcome.

~ OB :cherry:

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:48 PM

EDIT: Type is thrre a spll cekker?; you will see thrre, spll & cekker underlined in red and right clicking helps correct them. However when you post with incorrectly spelled words they are not underlined in red so you have to correct incorrectly spelled words before you post.

Edited by cmptrgy, 09 August 2015 - 05:54 PM.

#13 harryhh

harryhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

Hi cmptrgy,

Now that I have Rich Text turned off my spell checker works fine and I will be much better off. But, I am notorious for using a wrong word such as there instead of their, or an instead of and, etc.. Spell checker won't help me there.

It takes me a long time to type something because I have to go over it many times to try and make sure I am making sense. Regrettably, that doesn't always work.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:07 PM

Hi cmptrgy,

Now that I have Rich Text turned off my spell checker works fine and I will be much better off. But, I am notorious for using a wrong word such as there instead of their, or an instead of and, etc.. Spell checker won't help me there.

It takes me a long time to type something because I have to go over it many times to try and make sure I am making sense. Regrettably, that doesn't always work.

Boy do I know what you mean. I hate it when my sentences need major improvement including wrong words. So what I do now is write what I want to post in a word document that amounts to a first draft. I'll read it back to myself: usually I'll catch what needs to be corrected. However there are times I'll walk away and take a break to do something else; when I get back to it, it helps me a lot to correct what needs correcting. It isn't a perfect system but works for me. Then I paste my final draft into my post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users