Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kraken 40x not lighting up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CastleBlack

CastleBlack

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 02:38 PM

I recently got a computer off of ibuypower.com, and it seems to be working great....running gta 5/witcher 3 60 fps 1080 p at 70 degrees, so no over heating.  I believe my kraken x40 is doing the job, but the led light does not turn on, and when I try to go into the Kraken control program, it gives me an error saying "Could not connect to device! Please make sure that the device is connected and try again".  

Also a second question....I'm a computer noob, so forgive me.  I have a long unusual shaped blue usb 3.0 cord hanging in my desktop unplugged to anything....would anyone have an idea of what it's for?

Attached File  IMG_0190.JPG   84.88KB   0 downloads

Edited by CastleBlack, 09 August 2015 - 03:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:18 PM

Checking the manual for the Kraken X40 it says a cable needs to be connected to a USB header (and it's a USB 2.0 type cable shown, not USB 3.0).  Anything software controlled would need this to work properly.  I assume the LED etc. is software controlled and therefore needs this cable needs to be connected to a USB header on the motherboard.

The loose cable, if it's not off the Kraken X40 looks to me like it's going to be the front panel USB 3.0 connector.  Again, it needs to be connected to a header on the motherboard.  A blue plug usually signifies USB 3.0 so that is what it looks like to me.  These fall off the header very easily...  I would advise you to check the motherboard manual (or download it if you don't have one) for the locations of the USB headers.  Be very careful not to bend any pins when installing the plugs, especially with the USB 3.0 type headers.

Shows the different cable types:

usb3pic3.jpg

Typical USB 3.0 header in blue, with 2 x USB 2.0 headers (black, to the right)

IMG_8334.jpg

EDIT I'm making the assumption the motherboard has a USB 3.0 header - not all do, especially older or cheap motherboards.  In which case, just tie the cable out of the way.

Edited by jonuk76, 09 August 2015 - 05:19 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 CastleBlack

CastleBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for the reply!  From what I can see it's plugged into the mother board....the wires are hidden so they're hard to follow.  It looks like there is a usb 2.0 plugged into a chip marked with the same logo as the Kraken 40x.  Here are a couple more pictures, not the best but maybe you can see something. http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae113/Ryon_Ofthehouse_Rudd/image2_zps10csntaf.jpg http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae113/Ryon_Ofthehouse_Rudd/image1_zpsgweyynpt.jpg

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:57 PM

It looks like that circuit board that is loose or velcro'd is another part (I'm guessing this IU01 USB Expansion) which is simply a powered USB hub (device that expands the number of USB ports available internally).

As far as I can tell from the Kraken manual, the only connections need to be:

1: Connection from pump to motherboard CPU fan header (this will drive the pump)

2: Connection from pump fan output cable to radiator fan

3: Connection to USB 2 header on motherboard (or in this case, to the NZXT USB hub) which does whatever the software allows you to do.

So, check the cable going into the USB hub at the side is connected to a motherboard USB 2.0 header.

Check the cables attached to the USB hub (I'm counting 3 x sets) are connected securely.

It's one of those things where I expect it would be a simple fix, but explaining it in detail without seeing everything is difficult.

As it's a new computer if you can't get to the bottom of it, probably best to call the company you bought it from.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users