I suspect that my laptop might have been infected as chrome browser has redirected the links from time to time. Below are the specifics -
1. firebox seems to have no issue so far whatsoever.
2. chrome browser has been uninstalled and reinstalled (after scanning - see below point 3).
3. ran malwarebytes anti-malware, emsisoft anti-malware, panda antivirus, microsoft security suite and tdsskiller but did not find any serious threats. (i.e. found adware or PUPs and have either removed them or quarantined them). have also ran some of them in safe mode and found nothing.
4. I usually use non-admin account to log into the computer (and thus opened chroms browser under the non-admin account), so no idea how chrome browser under admin account would behave.
Perhaps there is a need to re-examine the laptop?
What I have noticed is that the re-directing chrome browser happens
Any suggestion or question about my scenario. Great many thanks.
I did some google-search and found that, as my internet carrier is TWC (Time Warner Cable), I wonder if it's possible that it's TWC that is doing the re-directing, not my laptop is infected. As in the most recent episode of chrome browser re-directing, the new page asked that I contact one 1-844 number to resolve some issues with my cable company (if I remember it correctly, the re-directed page did not specify that I need to contact TWC, but only that I need to contact my cable service provider). As this redirectiong happens sporadically, and whenever it happens, I'd use Windows Task Manager to kill the page(s), if I couldn't close them by clicking on the browser window, I do not have a lot of info regarding those re-directed pages.
1. Is there a way for us, the internet users, to know or be alerted if it's cable company that is doing the browser redirecting?
2. So far, when chrome browser redirecting occurs, I was still able to use Firefox with no issue. Does this provide any additional info concerning why the chrome browser gets redirecting ??
Any info will be appreciated. Thank you.
Edited by seraphin, 09 August 2015 - 05:53 PM.