Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comcast certificate errors

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:48 PM

1. Performed a Windows 2010 fresh install.
  2. Installed Office 2007.
  3. Doing the email setup wizard.
  4. All good until...

The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be verified.

The target principal name is incorrect.

Certificate details seems to be Comcast, but I have no idea for sure.

Is the problem related to certificates on Comcast's server or my PC?  I seem to recall that browsers are shipped with various certificates, and maybe it is similar and the Windows 10 certificates need to be updated???

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:30 PM

Set up as POP3 instead of IMAP and no longer get the warning.  Still wonder why...

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:18 PM

Comcast only does POP3.  It's a four-year flaw in MSFT which didn't get fixed, been complained about a lot.  Google on 'Windows 8' and 'POP3'.  Specifically with Comcast, the error finally got fixed, since Comcast is only POP3 and has a lot of customers; but not for all other POP3 emailers.

Edited by brainout, 09 August 2015 - 09:19 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users