Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tell me this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:46 AM

A lot of users up here that have run the gambit with MS OS's, has anyone ever seen so much trouble so with and some without fixes, pros and cons about any other OS roll out??????????????

I have increased my wait awhile/months to maybe never, if and possibly when then I will spend weeks gleaning through this mess to make my final decision to the stay with 7 or do the leap.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,977 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:53 AM

I don't remember of Windows having a Service Release less than two week after being released to the general public but I guess that is to be expected with all the different hardware combinations out there. I still think it was rushed. I guess we will see if the forced update results in something else being broken.

#3 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:16 AM

@OldPhil...

Your post would hold water IF you were quoting first hand experiences using Windows 10.

Instead... like many others, you have taken a cowardly approach to a subject you know nothing of!

That is wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself. If I were as bitter as you, I would consider reverting back to a No.2 pencil and a pad of paper!

IMHO

Rock On :guitar: My Friend!

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 12:41 PM

This may be the first new version of an OS that is not only set to both run on and upgrade the previous version and hardware, but also the version and associated hardware before that.

Certainly a recipe for problems, for sure.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:23 PM

Every new release of Windows has issues initially.

This machine was built for Windows 8 and it didn't have driver support.  I lost over 4TB of data when my RAID 5 array went south.

Windows 7 seemed to be less problematic, but many people had issues with the new interface.

Windows Vista had driver issues.

Windows XP was a major interface change and again many people had issues.

Windows 2000 had no 3D graphics support so gamers couldn't use it.

Windows ME, had too many issues to list

Windows 98 wasn't really stable until SR2.

Windows 95 was another huge interface change

Windows 3 just an overlay to DOS.  Not as large of a computer base so the number of complaints were minimal.

Yeah, I've been doing this for a long time.  I went kicking and screaming into Windows and only because you could buy most programs either way, but if you bought the Windows version for $20 more you got a ton of features that were not available in DOS.  Since that time I buy a new drive and retail copy of the OS on release day.  This allows me to safely install Windows on a brand new drive to get  a better idea of the changes.

#6 carbuff

carbuff

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:41 PM

I recognize that minor pitfalls accompany the early stages of any newly released software, but I agree with the starter of this thread about never have seen so much trouble with a startup.   The startup of Windows 10 free upgrade to the public has been a mess for many users and I imagine a huge headache for Microsoft.

I purchased a Leading Edge Computer in the early 1980’s.  It was a Neanderthal compared to the computers of today.  It ran on MSDOS.  I have upgraded ever since then with each new Microsoft OS.  Of all, I consider Windows 7 Professional 64 to be the finest.

As is my practice, when Microsoft markets a new OS, I buy it.  When the offer for a free upgrade to Windows 10 arrived, I jumped on it and have spent each day since July 29 in great frustration trying to upgrade it on my desktop from Windows 7.

I must say however, it did load into my Lenovo laptop quickly and smoothly.  No problem whatsoever.  It has run perfectly there ever since.

However, my experience putting Windows 10 on my desktop PC has met with complete and utter failure.  I have tried each day since July 29  everything my expertise will allow and have augmented my knowledge by trying the various solutions recommended by posters in internet forums and by Microsoft itself.

NONE HAVE WORKED!

My final attempt was made after I not only pulled every cabled device, disabled all startups and services, uninstalled all SSD, HDD except for the SSD  device on C:\ and the internal CD/DVD device.  Lastly, I uninstalled all apps including anti-virus and malware software.  The only software on the remaining drive were those created by Microsoft.

This left a very empty desktop powered by an Intel i5 processor, 16GB ram, one 500GB SSD, Windows 7 and a few Microsoft apps.  Just as with all previous attempts, I simply could not put Windows 10 on my desktop computer.

I will wait a few months and then when Microsoft irons out many of the bugs, I will try again to install W10 on my desktop.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:49 PM

I understand your concerns.

I'm a fan of updating to Windows 10. I know there are still glitches and the few people I've helped so far had their problems after they updated. In each case I reverted them back to their original OS. Then I reviewed the issues involved so they will have a better understanding when they try it again. In each case though I recommended they wait until next year until May 2016 timeframe and I'll help them if they want.

carbuff I just saw your post as I was typing mine: excellent post.

#8 philfil

philfil

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 02:24 PM

I have now decided to stick with Windows 7 rather than take the leap. I did install Windows 10 a few days ago but it all ended with the Black Screen Of Death. Initially, all went well but then the display went completely black and my computer was inaccessible via the usual routes. So I reinstalled Windows 7 from a  backup. The trouble is that my backup contained the "Get Windows 10" app so all the Windows 10 update files have been downloaded again.

Question: If I uninstall update KB3035583, which I understand is responsible for the "Get Windows 10" app, will I then be able to live in peace with Windows 7 or will I continue to receive unwanted Windows 10 downloads?

The other alternative is to go ahead and install Windows 10 for a second time, but then to use the facility within it to revert to Windows 7 within 30 days.

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:45 PM

QQQQ reported in another thread that he got it to work when he opted for upgrade but 'keep nothing'.  Since you're already nearly at that level, try doing that?

MSFT's inplace upgrades are notorious for failing.  Clean install is the only way to go, but this installer is buggy, so its own 'clean install' aka 'custom install' won't work. It worked fine for us Insiders, but the final version is somehow different.  So now to do it reliably, you need 'upgrade' and 'keep nothing'.  I'm surprised and grateful your other installs went well.  Maybe you can figure out why from the differences?  Also some report success when the Software Distribution folder and the $windows..BT folder are first cleaned out after unsuccessful prior installs.  They also report the need to disconnect all peripherals but keyboard and mouse, but it seems you did that.

However, my experience putting Windows 10 on my desktop PC has met with complete and utter failure.  I have tried each day since July 29  everything my expertise will allow and have augmented my knowledge by trying the various solutions recommended by posters in internet forums and by Microsoft itself.

NONE HAVE WORKED!

My final attempt was made after I not only pulled every cabled device, disabled all startups and services, uninstalled all SSD, HDD except for the SSD  device on C:\ and the internal CD/DVD device.  Lastly, I uninstalled all apps including anti-virus and malware software.  The only software on the remaining drive were those created by Microsoft.

This left a very empty desktop powered by an Intel i5 processor, 16GB ram, one 500GB SSD, Windows 7 and a few Microsoft apps.  Just as with all previous attempts, I simply could not put Windows 10 on my desktop computer.

I will wait a few months and then when Microsoft irons out many of the bugs, I will try again to install W10 on my desktop.

It really hurts to see you be hurt.  I wish there was more I could do to help!

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#10 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:28 PM

My upgrades went well, so you might want to take my opinion with a grain of salt. Never, before, has the barrier to entry for an upgrade been so low. "Just click here, and unicoms will poop rainbows all over your desktop."

In the past, folks buying an upgrade had to think about it. People who think, check hardware compatibility before shelling out real dollars. They prepare their computers for the upgrade. They weigh the pluses and minuses before jumping in with both feet. When it's FREE, folks have a couple of glasses of wine and think "Oooooh. Free." and click away.

Some folks couldn't wait for the upgrade and installed the ISO without upgrading first. Too bad. So sad. Read the instructions, first.

This is not to minimze the real issues some informed folks have encountered. This is not to minimize Microsoft's culpibility in making the upgrade sound like all sunshine and rainbows. But I have to believe that half the problems are due to IBK.

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:51 PM

I have now decided to stick with Windows 7 rather than take the leap. I did install Windows 10 a few days ago but it all ended with the Black Screen Of Death. Initially, all went well but then the display went completely black and my computer was inaccessible via the usual routes. So I reinstalled Windows 7 from a  backup. The trouble is that my backup contained the "Get Windows 10" app so all the Windows 10 update files have been downloaded again.

Question: If I uninstall update KB3035583, which I understand is responsible for the "Get Windows 10" app, will I then be able to live in peace with Windows 7 or will I continue to receive unwanted Windows 10 downloads?

The other alternative is to go ahead and install Windows 10 for a second time, but then to use the facility within it to revert to Windows 7 within 30 days.

On “I did install Windows 10 a few days ago but it all ended with the Black Screen Of Death. Initially, all went well but then the display went completely black and my computer was inaccessible via the usual routes.” My friend had the exact same problem on her laptop, which she upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

--- However it ran fine in Safe Mode.

Then I connected an external desktop monitor to the laptop and everything ran fine even in Normal Mode.

--- The display adapter is an AMD Radeon HD 6300M Graphics Card and is compatible with Windows 10 and was installed from AMD’s website but I couldn’t tell which one of 3 chipsets to download so I got out of it.

--- The laptop display is recorded in Device Manager as a Generic PnP Monitor and has a yellow marker, which is why I wanted to find the correct chipset to include in the download.

--- So I’ll be researching that for the next time she tries to upgrade again.

In your case go to See what works

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home and plug in your display adapter to ensure it’s compatible with Windows 10.

I did revert her computer back to Windows 7 since the external desktop monitor worked fine but I’m planning on helping my friend do the Windows 10 upgrade again depending on what my research comes up with.

On “If I uninstall update KB3035583, which I understand is responsible for the "Get Windows 10" app, will I then be able to live in peace with Windows 7 or will I continue to receive unwanted Windows 10 downloads?”

Uninstall KB3035583.

Shut down.

Start back up.

KB3035583 will be back in Windows Update within some period: in my experience it’s been less than an hour but it wouldn’t surprise me if it could take longer. Just keep an eye out in Windows Update: both in Important and Optional: either way or both: hide the update anytime you see it. I also have Windows Update set to “Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.”

When I hide an update, I also shut down and start back up. I do not know whether or not it needs to do that but it works for me.

If you are interested in following this route, I have 5 other KB’s for Windows 7 in which I do the same and I’ll be glad to look them up and post them if you wish.

Keep in mind: Patch Tuesday is this week so you have to watch for KB3035583 as well as the other KB’s and manage the Windows Update setting “Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.” properly. Good luck.

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:53 PM

On the question of privacy :  (and i would submit that this is what ALL the fuss is about.....because after a few months of updates and all the usual fuss and bother etc..Win X will work. maybe not seamlessly....but it will work. )

We all value our personal space...in recent times this has come to include the "space" which is invaded by all things internet. Do i blame msft for wishing to make money from whatever source they choose..?...No...this is a free enterprise system which i support wholeheartedly. However....that does not mean that i have to lay down on the track and just allow the train to roll over me....I will do whatever i have to do, to maintain MY idea of privacy. ...and I will do it in such a way that may break/bend a few boundaries. I am perfectly ok with that. I have control over that....no one else.

Much 'heat' has been generated by the introduction of Win X....possibly because of the "change".....people, in general, dislike change.

If you take the decision to 'make the move'....be prepared to do whatever it takes to make YOU feel comfortable with the day to day operation of Win X.

Not comfortable?....it has come to the point where a really tough decision has to be made....lots of people acutely disliked win 8 and 8.1 and xp and etc etc ....but on the whole it did not seem to stop the vast majority from installing those OS's. Win X appears to have garnered sufficient 'strong feeling' to persuade a hefty number to look elsewhere.  The strong feeling I speak of is related to Intrusion. Msft have crossed the invisible line in the sand for those amongst us who do not feel capable/confident of protecting their idea of privacy/personal space.....and therefore feel intruded upon.

On a smaller are of the win x thing....i have had a few experiences with the 'store'...apps.....what a joke....I have seen better stuff in an android and apple store....and some of that just leaves me speechless ! The crap that some people will trot out to make a buck !

The crowd are talking msft....will you hear ?...or is the lure of the almighty $ too great??

My money is on the $.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#13 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:14 PM

Hey old rocker,kinda tuff on oldphil aren't you.

#14 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:23 PM

It's beyond mere Intrusion.  It's probably unconstitutional in every nation on earth, but establishing that requires someone take MSFT to court for it.

To see why, well read the license for yourself, and especially the linked Services Agreement.

Since I do legal contracts for a living, I felt it my due diligence duty to show some of the key clauses and explain why they are vile, here.  Or, here.

Atop that, are the concerns about for how long security updates will be furnished, because the lifecycle agreement won't cover devices no longer given OEM support, explained here.  Or, here.  The videos' description has links to the actual MSFT official lifecycle sheet you can read onscreen for yourself, rather than listen to me explain it.

Now, if these license and support terms change to be non-intrusive and actually do support updates, then there are many reasons to adopt Windows 10.  The installer is buggy, but it has ever been so, when doing inplace upgrades.  MSFT plays well with certain programs pre-installed but not others, same for pre-installed hardware.  Why?  Well they don't test it on everything, but on selected combinations:  so if you happen to have that combination (or near it), then like so many (me included), you will have a smooth installation experience.  Else (for so many more), not.

Once installed, Win10 is often compatible with older hardware and software (my stuff is mostly 10 years old or more, and it all works even the DOS stuff via DOSbox).  THE TRICK IS TO UNINSTALL EVERYTHING OR DO A CLEAN INSTALL (which with Win10 means 'upgrade' and also 'keep nothing') -- and afterwards, reinstall what you had, often including drivers.

Yet Win10 remains often inexplicably incompatible with video and sound drivers, keyboards and trackpads, programs you'd expect it to work with.. I can't explain why not compatible.

I have noticed one commonality though:  if the machine and the parts are commonly used by ENTERPRISE, then the update will tend to be smooth.  If instead the parts are customized, or in consumer machines, then typically the update will bomb or be problemmatic.  In short, they design the installer around ENTERPRISE standard equipment and software, so the more your stuff is like that (i.e., Dell Latitudes, which is mainstream enterprise level), the more your updating on Windows, will go smoothly.

So my big complaint isn't about Windows itself (although I've many subcomplaints).  The BIG complaint is about the unconstitutionality of the License, a topic which the worldwide media suspiciously avoids disclosing.

Edited by brainout, 09 August 2015 - 07:35 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:50 PM

So my big complaint isn't about Windows itself (although I've many subcomplaints).  The BIG complaint is about the unconstitutionality of the License, a topic which the worldwide media suspiciously avoids disclosing.

my money is on the $

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users