Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Performance drop after Update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sparteh

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:27 AM

Hello. Yesterday I upgraded my laptop (win7, 4gb ram, intel 1,8HZ) to windows 10.

After update I feel great performance drop. Not only it works slower, but also has troubles with things that run smoothly on windows 7.

The biggest problem although is my touchpad. It became less responsive. Originally it didn't work at all. I had to install latest official driver.

Any suggestions to improve it?

I expected that performance would drop but not that greatly. Currently my old pc with 1 Gb Ram and 7 boots up faster. I tried disabling many services and it helped a little. Could someone give me a list of services which are safe to disable?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Valinorum

Shadow Hide The Hunter

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 1,597 posts
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:40 AM

Is it 32-bit or 64-bit? 64-bit edition requires 2GB RAM for smooth performance.

Edit: Sorry, I looked only at the specs of your old PC. Did the performance drop occur just after the upgrade or after you started using it i.e. installing new applications et cetera?

Edited by Valinorum, 09 August 2015 - 10:46 AM.

Geek U Graduate

I close my topic(s) with no replies for more than 4 days. PM me or Moderators to reactivate. All helps are provided via forum ergo do not PM me for help.

#3 Sparteh

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:55 AM

Directly after update. I would say that it was working at least 2 times slower than normal. Start up was much slower as well. According to ToolwizCare my boot up time was close to 5 minutes. Touch pad wasn't working, but after I reinstalled latest driver it works, but not as good as in w7. If I needed to compare I would say that the difference is like between old and used touchscreen phone and new one.

Currently, after cleaning using windows cleaner (including system files option), defragmenting, scanning for junk, spyware, viruses, optimizing registry,  messing with services/ disabling some of them (like all those Xbox services) I manage to bring my computer to a bit bitter shape. Last boot up was 2,5 min and performance increesed a bit. Although touchpad is still not as good as it was. I was thinking about disabling ETDCtrl next.

Edited by Sparteh, 09 August 2015 - 10:59 AM.

#4 Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,628 posts
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:47 PM

personally I would leave services etc alone. This is a brand new OS, ....you are treading in uncharted waters. Optimizing the registry on a new OS or any is just asking for trouble.

Consider making yourself a fresh copy from HERE   

Have a read of the install instructions....and make your win 7 as clean as you possibly can before installing win 10

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users