Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic Hgt Trojan Horse

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:46 AM

I started getting avg pop ups telling me that trojan horses had been found, I clicked on heal, and it would tell me that it had been successfully healed. After this had happened a couple more times I ran a full scan with the avg, it show that I had a large number of them and was successful in removing all of the except one.

I keep getting the same avg pop up saying that it has detected the same generic hgt trojan horse, I click on heal and it tells me that it has been successfully healed, but it keeps poping up with the same generic hgt trojan horse.

I clicked on information with one of the pop ups and this is what it showed...

Virus Encyclopedia
We have found 12 rows, top 12 viewed. Please select a name or try to use a more specific name.

Downloader.Generic.AJM

Downloader.Generic.AJM!CME-978

Downloader.Generic.AJO

Downloader.Generic.AJO!CME-323

Downloader.Generic.AJQ

Downloader.Generic.AJQ!CME-746

Downloader.Generic.AJR

Downloader.Generic.AJR!CME-402

Downloader.Generic.AWO

Downloader.Generic.AWO!CME-96

Downloader.Generic.POS

Downloader.Generic.POS!CME-503

How do I get rid of this?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:33 AM

Please go Here to run the Trend Micro™ HouseCall Scan.
Click Scan now. It's free!
Accept the terms of use.
Click the Launching HouseCall>> button.
If confirmed that HouseCall can run on your system, under Using Java-based HouseCall kernel click the Starting HouseCall>> button.
You may receive a Security Warning about the TrendMicro Java applet, click YES.
Under Scan complete computer for malware, grayware, and vulnerabilities click the Next>> button.
Please be patient while it installs, updates, and scans your system.
Once the scan is complete, it will take you to the summary page.
Under Cleanup options, choose clean all detected infections automatically.
Click the Clean now>> button.
If anything was found you will prompted to run the scan again, you can just close the browser window.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:43 AM

If your running Win XP/2000, also download and scan with Ewido Anti-Spyware v4.0 in "SAFE MODE".
Print out the Ewido Install and Scan Instructions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,008 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:46 AM

Thanks guys,

This last weekend I installed a new to me motherboard, I went from 600MHz to 1200MHz :thumbsup: , and fire it up without a thought about the ramifications of this action. Long story short, I had the desktop, but no cusorer/pointer, and I couldn't go to the last good know configuration, so I wiped the hdd, reinstalled the OS and SP, and started reinstalling all of the information that was now missing. I'm still finding programs that I haven't remembered, and will probably continue for a couple of days, and this brings me to my current situation.

Xpert...I tried to use the Trend Micro product that you had suggested, the first thing that happened was for Firefox to tell me that I needed a plug in order to access this page, so I added the appropriate one. Then I found out that I had to have Adobe, I had that on a back up disk, so I thought this would be a quick fix...wrong, Adobe decided that I should have an update and proceeded to provide me with one. And finally I found out that I needed Java, so I made my last download...and we're off and running...wrong! I clicked on the start house call, and waited, and waited, about an hour later it stopped, that was it, it just stopped! I went to bed and got a couple hours of sleep and returned to post my results here and found quietman7's response...

quietman7...This is where you come into the picture, at this point I see your suggestion and realize how ironic the order of events have become, because just before I got Xperts response I was about to update my Ewido so that I had all of the latest definitions to make a scan. Well, I did download the updates, and run the scan, I wound up with 86 infections, 10 of which were of the high danger definition. So far there have been no more pop ups, and it has been about an hour and a half. I looks like the Ewido wins the prize. :flowers:

As always, I do appreciate the time and efforts, thanks for the help.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:53 AM

Glad to hear everything turned out fine in the end. I do not recommend AVG to use as your A/V but it is upto you. Check my sig if you want other options. Sorry to hear all the trouble you went through with TrendMicro, it normally works well but i have never tried with firefox since i use Opera and have to use IE to run it.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:50 PM

Good job. Persistance pays off. :thumbsup:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,008 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:18 AM

I have to update the situation, I wasn't successful in getting rid of these infections. I spent a good portion of the morning upgrading all of my protection, and just spent the last hour and a half running all of my scans in the safe mode, and so far it looks like I have been successful.

Xpert...Just for the record, I've been using AVG for well over a year, and have friends that have been using longer, and none of us have had any problems as long as we keep it up to date, and that is the key phrase here.

When I had to wipe my hdd and reinstall the OS and everything else, I thought I would be better off using an outdated copy of AVG to go online to get the downloads that I was going to need rather than none at all. For this reason I can't blame a failure on AVG, and I will continue to use it.

Well, it looks like I've finally gotten rid of the trojan, I've been on line for over an hour now without a hint of a problem, unless you count pop-ups, finding a good pop-up blocker will be my next project.

#8 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:03 AM

Which browser do you use? I'd recommend trying Opera which comes with a great popup blocker and no extensions :thumbsup: Its free, easy to use, fast and secure . Updates are avalable weekly.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,008 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:37 AM

Hi Expert, I'm using Firefox and have no problems with the extensions, both of the browsers are standalone, and that is the important part.

I had did a quick google and found an adblocker extension for Firefox, I downloaded it, rebooted, and it works like a champ. :thumbsup:

Now that this machine is stable I can get on with the rest of my plans for it. I changed the motherboard out for a newer ECS K7AMA, the previous board was an MSI K7-Pro which operated a 600MHz, and the ECS operates at 1200MHz, it will also accommodate both two modules of either 133 SDR or two mudules of 266 DDR. Next step will be a GB of DDR. :flowers:

#10 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:24 AM

Have fun + Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users