Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preventing Windows 10 download.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Saska01

Saska01

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:09 AM

As a Win.7 Home Premium user,i can get the Win.10 up-date for free. I opted to reserve my up-date & recently had the up-date icon automatically added to my PC taskbar on boot up. I always have my up-dates set to ask me if i wanted to download them,but the Win.10 up-date starts on it's own. I removed the KB3035583 up-date app. which triggers the Win.10 up-date,but Win.10 is still trying to download onto my PC without requesting my permission - is there any way that i can stop this ?.

I've deleted the KB3035583 app. / cancelled my Win.10 up-date request / re-set my up-date settings to request my permission & it still goes on. I really don't want Win.10,at least just yet, & in reserving it,i expected to have more control over if & when i decided to download it. It seems that isn't the way Win.10 works - it's forced onto your PC whether you like it or not.

I just had a quick look in the Registry & KB3035583 is  there . It makes me wonder that regardless of deleting the actual app. in the Win. up-dates,whether it's presence in the Registry still triggers the download. If that's the case, then it's a pretty insidious way of doing things.

Edited by Saska01, 09 August 2015 - 04:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:43 AM

I have the same issue, I deleted that update and win 10 keeps trying to install itself.                                                                                                                                   

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:03 AM

Had a somewhat similar problem with Windows 10 nagging me to install. I went into Windows Update and checked the box for that update and then right click, then choose to hide update.

Worked for me and maybe for you as well.

Regards.............

#4 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:28 AM

I went back & had another look & eventually did the 'hide up-date' bit. Right now,the up-date box is prompting me to upgrade to Win.10 = no thanks.     If the up-dater is so darned difficult,i can't imagine what it would be like if you actually did the up-grade,found that you didn't like it & wanted to uninstall it - sheer hell !. I'll wait to see what happens tomorrow when i boot up my PC again,hopefully nothing,but as i'd reserved the up-date & it started up-dating without my permission........ ???

Edited by Saska01, 09 August 2015 - 08:28 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:44 AM

See if using Powershell to remove the update works.

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/17/how-to-remove-windows-10-upgrade-updates-in-windows-7-and-8/

#6 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:17 AM

Well - I couldn't wait until tomorrow. I just booted up,checked up-dates & there it was,busy up-dating,now at 49% complete. That's despite me deleting the KB app.,'hiding' the up-date & everything else i can think of.

I'll have a look at the www.ghacks.net  link John - many thanks. I'll see if it works. - OK - I just had a look at the www.ghacks link & it's just another way of searching for & deleting the KB app. which i already did via. Windows Up-date . The KB3035583  up-date app. is deleted & the up-date 'hidden' - so what else ?.

This is begining to look like a forced up-date by Microsoft with enough hurdles in the path of any user not PC savy enough being able to prevent it.

If this turns out to be the case,i'll personally contact the highest authority in the UK that i can.

Edited by Saska01, 09 August 2015 - 10:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users