Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sadly It's Time To Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 skullknight

skullknight

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:11 AM

I have had absolutely NO issues with my current CPU and video card in the 2-3yrs I have had them. Sadly they are just getting very outdated, things are slowing down and there is better hardware out there. Anyway I have a couple questions before I decide to upgrade one or both pieces since I am on a budget. Here is what I currently have.....

EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

AMD Phenom ii x4 965 Black Edition

I'm a gamer and Ive recently wanted to start recording while I play and stream. I'm usually around 80-90 FPS but when I record/stream I drop to 35 or so and start to lag. My internet is fantastic so that isn't the issue. So is this due to my video card, CPU or both being old?

If I need to replace the CPU I want to stick with AMD. The same goes with my video card. I'm sticking with NVIDIA/EVGA. That said these are the two I'm thinking of getting. Would they provide significant results over my current setup?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487024

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113327

Edited by skullknight, 09 August 2015 - 03:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:20 AM

In order to answer your question intelligently we need to know what setup you have; please post a Speccy report link so we can see what you are upgrading from. I would assume you are running a desktop, right?

Sadly they are just getting very outdated, things are slowing down

There can be many things that slow a computer, not just old hardware. 2 years is not that old, after all.  We need to know what you have and the configuration.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 skullknight

skullknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

Desktop PC

EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

AMD Phenom ii x4 965 3.4Ghz Black Edition (OC 3.8Ghz)

16GB DDR3 RAM

MSI 970A-G43 Motherboard (AM3+)

Windows 7 Premium 64bit

Need anything else?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 09 August 2015 - 05:53 PM.
Moved from 'Intenal hardware' to 'system building and upgrading'

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:53 PM

You specs look pretty good, but if you are an avid gamer playing online it depends.

Do a checkout of what you have loading on your computer on boot. There are a lot of programs that load up on boot even though you rarely use them. Many programs also load updaters that check for updates automatically when you boot up-you can do that yourself whenever you run that program. I make it a practice to remove auto-updaters on all programs.

Run Rkill, JRT, and Adwcleaner in that order from Here (dial down) and let them remove anything they find.

>  Run Malwarebytes, and let it remove anything it finds.

If you are a serious gamer, you want as few things loading as possible. If none of this helps, you probably need to update your equipment.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:41 AM

With your current cpu socket there isn't a ton of upgradeability. FM2+ would better suit your needs.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:46 AM

From what I've heard from other streamers it is important that you DO NOT have your video stream be on the same hard drive as your gaming from.  So you may want to pick up a second hard drive to save your video to instead of saving to the same one your gaming on.

#7 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:55 AM

get the FX 8320 instead

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:00 AM

Your MSI 970A-G43 motherboard will support a large number of processors, much more than an FM2+ socket.  According to MSI's compatibility page here, you can get either an FX-8320 or an FX-8370E.  You may need to update your motherboard's BIOS for compatibility.  Due to the unique design of the FX processors, I suggest going with the FX-8300 series for performance.

Have you considered a GTX 960, like the GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB?  There is a slight price difference, but the performance gains may be worth it.

3939.png

#9 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:40 AM

Thats not old

My current setup

CPU - Xeon X3220 G0

GPU - Nvidia GT 430

Memory - 6GB

Motherboard - DP43BF

So you are doing way better as far as how new your system is and mine runs like a champ!

I Love Lamp!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users