Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bluetooth Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:57 AM

My system came with a Bluetooth Keyboard.   I haven't used it for some time - years - I wanted to try it out again - I have been using a regular plug in keyboard

I cannot remember how to turn it on - it says to turn it on - logically enough - but it doesn't say how?

Can anyone help me out?

You would think it would indicate how to but I guess its a closely-guarded secret.

Thanks

Edited by JayJax, 09 August 2015 - 01:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:57 AM

Does the mac support bluetooth? Devices that doesn't have a built in bluetooth will have to use a Bluetooth USB dongle. LIke this... http://www.newegg.com/Network-Bluetooth/SubCategory/ID-295?Tpk=bluetooth%20dongle I don't know what brand of keyboard you're using they differ. Some have buttons and some do not. Be sure to put in new batteries. If there is a button you hold it down and it will flash lights that it's turned on. Then in the mac you search for new devices or type in help or search Bluetooth. That should get your to the part you need to get it setup. Not sure exactly the setup on mac, but on Windows it will search for the device and IF and WHEN it finds it you click on it. Windows generates a code and with that code you type it into the keyboard and then it should be ready to use. Hold that helps you out.

Edited by technonymous, 09 August 2015 - 03:59 AM.

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:18 PM

Does the mac support bluetooth? Devices that doesn't have a built in bluetooth will have to use a Bluetooth USB dongle. LIke this... http://www.newegg.com/Network-Bluetooth/SubCategory/ID-295?Tpk=bluetooth%20dongle I don't know what brand of keyboard you're using they differ. Some have buttons and some do not. Be sure to put in new batteries. If there is a button you hold it down and it will flash lights that it's turned on. Then in the mac you search for new devices or type in help or search Bluetooth. That should get your to the part you need to get it setup. Not sure exactly the setup on mac, but on Windows it will search for the device and IF and WHEN it finds it you click on it. Windows generates a code and with that code you type it into the keyboard and then it should be ready to use. Hold that helps you out.

Yes, this is the original keyboard that came with the computer.   I did put in fresh batteries I just don't know how to turn it on - you would think (I remember having this same issue when I got the computer - couldn't figure it out) that they would like go the extra mile and - whereever it is that you turn it on - SHOW: On/Off  This is a problem I've experienced before, as in this case there are explicit instructions about every last little detail except for ONE key element and in this case the one is ON/OFF.   I know where it is in preferences to set it up I just don't know how to TURN IT ON.

#4 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:29 PM

Hi JaayJax:

Although the Aplpe article I will link to is no longer updated, scroll down and and see if the instructions will help you! There was too many steps to copy and paste in this post (sorry!)

Post back if this does not work!

Link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1153

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:45 PM

Hi JaayJax:

Although the Aplpe article I will link to is no longer updated, scroll down and and see if the instructions will help you! There was too many steps to copy and paste in this post (sorry!)

Post back if this does not work!

Link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1153

Thanks I had referenced this before posting here - you're right there is a lot to it with links and all - like I said they give every EXPLICIT DETAIL EXCEPT How to Turn it On.  I'm not the smartest guy but neither am I the dumbest, I can't believe I'm the only one who's had this problem spending hours and hours unnecessarily if the designers had taken that EXTRA STEP with an indication or a reference to ON / OFF on the keyboard.   Telling me to turn it on doesn't help if there is no obvious ON / OFF button. 

I recall before that I called the APPLE STORE which is set up only to make appointments to bring computer in and NOT TO TALK TO ANYONE that SOMEHOW I managed to get a real person with a mouth and vocal cords and a phone to talk to me at which point I was admittedly VERY IRRITATED by the delay.   I told her my question, albeit thru gritted teeth, and she was able to tell me in one sentence how to turn it on.   Her affect on hearing my question seemed to me to be one of "wow" like it was a dumb question.   ON / OFF is an INTRICATE DETAIL Apple engineers seem to have overlooked - sigh.   There were no instructions or insert included with the keyboard.   I appreciate your attempt to help.

Edited by JayJax, 12 August 2015 - 03:46 PM.

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:54 PM

I just found an INSTANT CHAT link which I asked my question and I got an automated reply with link back to the gazillion pages of online blah blah ABOUT APPLE PRODUCTS.   Grrrrrr - in this hi-tech world with a plethora of options / equipment with which to communicate and share information - this is what you end up with.

I REMEMBER NOW the online chat is reserved for people who haven't yet been suckered into purchasing a product for more money than what it would cost for a comparable Windows product.  The HELPFULNESS of Apple is all coming back to me now.   They are just as UNHELPFUL now as they were then.

I got 30 days of Expert Help, if I recall the time period correctly, after I received the product - due to personal circumstances at the time it was past that time period before I got to actually set up the product.   It was ordered as a replacement for me by my home owner's insurance company.  If I had been placing the order I would have waited for a time when I could have set it up right away but that was not an option.   When I tried to talk to Apple for this itty-bitty detail they told me I would have to PURCHASE a year or more of coverage that would provide me access to help.   Yes, its all coming back to me how much I LOATHE the Apple Company and its consumer-unfriendly policies.

I have signed up for an account at Apple Online Support hopefully someone there will be able to answer my question but I'm not betting on it.   I like using the BC website here as a one-source go-to rather than having accounts scattered here and there.  

Not intended as a criticism of BC - just saying.you've been an excellent resource but this time I shall have to go OUTSIDE. Thanks.

Edited by JayJax, 12 August 2015 - 04:25 PM.

#7 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:38 PM

Goodness JayJax ~ I'm really feeling your frustration!  Apologies for adding a link..that I do not see in your post #1 ??

As every one in BC are volunteers, what do you know..not everyone can solve everyone's problems.

If you had paid for "Apple Care"  last I checked $99.00/year you would have this situation solved in one call.

Great insurance when you just can't get your answer quick enough!  (Smiling)

Speaking for myself, I've been out...when home I'll turn on my Macbook pro and see if I can find your ON/Off.

P.S.  Capital letters really hurt my ears..it's called shouting, and 'red bold' letters must be an emergency room visit. 

#8 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:45 PM

Goodness JayJax ~ I'm really feeling your frustration!  Apologies for adding a link..that I do not see in your post #1 ??

As every one in BC are volunteers, what do you know..not everyone can solve everyone's problems.

If you had paid for "Apple Care"  last I checked $99.00/year you would have this situation solved in one call.

Great insurance when you just can't get your answer quick enough!  (Smiling)

Speaking for myself, I've been out...when home I'll turn on my Macbook pro and see if I can find your ON/Off.

P.S.  Capital letters really hurt my ears..it's called shouting, and 'red bold' letters must be an emergency room visit. 

I used the RED/BOLD letters actually for people to see what the main issue is of the question rather than having to read everything I wrote.   I use CAPITAL LETTERS for the same reason to highlight something in particular.   I don't know who it was that initially started the CAPITAL LETTERS ARE SHOUTING idea but I disagree with it and so I try to be helpful by highlighting or capitalizing or in some way getting the major points more obvious.

I didn't put the link because I was asking for help but I realize now I should have included it for the same reason - to be helpful to the reader.

Mea Culpa.

You obviously are highly critical of a practice of mine but as you see there are reasons why I do what I do.  We don't all have the same opinions nevertheless for the most part we are able to live on the same planet without killing each other.  Of course there are exceptions to that rule, some people (Islam comes to mind) seem to be frequent exceptions.

I appreciate and thank you for your offer to check your keyboard - I have since gotten the answer on the Apple support forum which I shall post a link to shortly right now my laptop battery is set to go out.

Edited by JayJax, 12 August 2015 - 04:47 PM.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:50 PM

Maybe you can provide a model number, a link, a pic of the keyboard?

#10 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for your offer to help.   I did try posting a picture but could not figure out how to do that.  I did get an answer, though, that solved my problem.   Here's the link to the thread in which I got the answer, which I appreciate very much everyone who helped on both sites thank you.    :bananas:    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7170656

#11 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:11 PM

Hip=Hip Hooray @ JayJax you got your problem solved~ raced home, did not get a traffic..now I can grab an ice water and chill out!

Thank heavens no one died here over on/off!  :bounce:

Laugh with me..the idea of CAPS meaning shouting was something I learned in Internet computing 101 (can I remember...1990?)  The other lesson I will never forget was remember to be very careful when writing an email.  Pretend it is something you could yell to another person in a parking lot and have anyone hear!!

Regarding your preference in your writing style and skills ~ as you wish!  I never ever liked it when my teacher graded my paper in red ink! Oh boy did I freak out!  Purple, green, blue..so many happy colours!

Indeed we are all different and slap my hand I shared my opinion!  :hysterical:

Best...you solved your own problem!  

#12 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:35 PM

Hip=Hip Hooray @ JayJax you got your problem solved~ raced home, did not get a traffic..now I can grab an ice water and chill out!

Thank heavens no one died here over on/off!  :bounce:

Laugh with me..the idea of CAPS meaning shouting was something I learned in Internet computing 101 (can I remember...1990?)  The other lesson I will never forget was remember to be very careful when writing an email.  Pretend it is something you could yell to another person in a parking lot and have anyone hear!!

Regarding your preference in your writing style and skills ~ as you wish!  I never ever liked it when my teacher graded my paper in red ink! Oh boy did I freak out!  Purple, green, blue..so many happy colours!

Indeed we are all different and slap my hand I shared my opinion!  :hysterical:

Best...you solved your own problem!  

Thank you - diversity makes life interesting - while wars make it unpleasant to say the least.   No problems here, just differences in expression.    Enjoy your Ice Water - put your feet and relax!  I like your choice of Colours, something else that varies from person to person - like I said it all adds up to diversity and hopefully nobody bored.   Except kids nowadays seem to be in a perpetual state of frantic activity to avoid the all-dreaded boredom, i.e. a moment to stop and think!

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:47 PM

Thanks for your offer to help.   I did try posting a picture but could not figure out how to do that.  I did get an answer, though, that solved my problem.   Here's the link to the thread in which I got the answer, which I appreciate very much everyone who helped on both sites thank you.    :bananas:    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7170656

Oh you got one of those. LOL Yeah I can see where you couldn't find the button on the end there. Batteries go on one end so you wouldn't think that the keyboards button is on the other end hidden in plain sight. However, like I said some keyboards have no power button. I am sitting in front of one right now :) I put the batteries in and it stays on till the batteries go dead 3-6 months from now. The only light it has is a red one telling you that your batteries are dying. Anyways good luck and have fun!

#14 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:25 AM

Oh you got one of those. LOL Yeah I can see where you couldn't find the button on the end there. Batteries go on one end so you wouldn't think that the keyboards button is on the other end hidden in plain sight. However, like I said some keyboards have no power button. I am sitting in front of one right now :) I put the batteries in and it stays on till the batteries go dead 3-6 months from now. The only light it has is a red one telling you that your batteries are dying. Anyways good luck and have fun!

Wow - those are some long-lasting batteries on that keyboard you have - If I left this one on I hate to think how quick it would drain the batteries, one reason I quit using it, not the only one - I don't like the touch - can't put my finger on it to tell you why anyway.   Good Luck to you and fun too - never turn away from fun coz you're too busy - time enough tomorrow to put your nose to the grindstone.   Wow 3 - 6 months? 

Edited by JayJax, 13 August 2015 - 12:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users