Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build, no video even on POST

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jbarntt56

jbarntt56

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:14 PM

I put together a new PC:

AMD FX-4350 CPU

Gigabyte 940A-DSP3P Mobo

Kingston Hyper Fury X DDR3 1866 2x4 RAM

MSI Radeon R7 250X 1gb GPU ( 6 pin PCI power is plugged in)

EVGA 500B PSU

Antec One Case, (also called Antec 25)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler

Seagate SATA 3 1 TB hdd

I'm using my old 19" LCD monitor DVI-D.  The Radeon card is DVI-I.  It is my understanding that DVI D/I are compatible.  The PC powers on, and I get no input to my monitor.  This is a new PC, so no OS is installed.

The CPU was bought from a reputable dealer on Ebay, and is OEM, advertised as new.  It appears to be as advertised.  The rest of the components were bought new from Newegg and Amazon. The mobo has no onboard gpu.  On power up everything seems fine:  All the fans work, including the PSU, GPU, CPU cooler, and case fans.

Any thoughts about this welcomed.  The monitor works, I'm using it now on my old PC, (Win7/Linux, dual boot).

TIA,

Joel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:25 AM

Is this your mobo?  If so, the BIOS needs to be updated for your FX CPU to work - see the red letter text beneath the picture of the board.  I am not sure if you will be able to update the BIOS if the screen doesn't work, but check your manual. I am rather surprised at Gigabyte for releasing a board that won't work with two of the most popular CPUs in the world.

If this suggestion doesn't work, post back and we will take testing it further.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 jbarntt56

jbarntt56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 12:21 PM

Thanks, Ranch.  No, my mobo is the 970A-DS3P revison 2. I will check is there is a bios update, but as you said without any video display, I don't know how I would update the BIOS, if that is the problem.  One further thing to note, is that there are no BIOS error beeps, (like when you have mismatched RAM).

I'm going be out for several hours, family stuff.  Will get back to you later.

Thanks,

Joel

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,495 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:59 PM

I looked up your board at Newegg, and there are an inordinate number of complaints. I only went back to Feb 2015, but I am seeing way too many unhappy users and few fully satisfied users,  I will just say that if the board is new check your return deadline and try no to go over it. Newegg has 30 days, not sure about Amazon.

Ok, let's go forward.

I will assume the following, please correct me if I am wrong:

> you say the the monitor tests good because you can use it on another machine and it works fine. So the video cable and monitor are good.

>  when you boot, you get absolutely nothing on the monitor. Zero, not even the POST screen from the BIOS. No keyboard recognition system beep.

> you have checked that the video card you have is listed by Gigabyte as being compatible with that board.

Assuming the above is true, you have a low-level hardware failure. The signal from the power supply to the BIOS is not being received. This can only be caused by one of 4 things:

>  The BIOS is corrupted or bad

>  The power supply has failed

>  The CPU has failed

>  The motherboard is bad

Reset your CMOS back to factory default. The instructions will be in the manual that came with your computer. Try to boot.

The only way to check a power supply is either to purchase a tester, they run between $20-$50 on average, or change out the power supply with another you know is good. Realistically, it appears that your power supply is enabling the fans to spin up. If you have a power-on light on the board itself and it is lit, that is another indication that the board is getting power (that doesn't mean the board is good, just that there is electric signal from the PS).  Does the power lamp on the board light up (assuming you have a power lamp)?

CPU...the only way to test a CPU is to swap it with another board, or a different CPU on the problem board. What you are experiencing is characteristic of a blown CPU: all the fans spin up, power light activates on the board, but no keyboard recognition beep, POST screen or monitor activity of any kind.  Note that some of these newer monitors will post the manufacturer's name for a few seconds on boot, but that signal comes from the monitor itself, not the computer.

Motherboard: given the probability curve, motherboards fail far more than CPUs. The only question you might have is that you have a used CPU and only the vendor's word that it is good. That doesn't mean it isn't.

On the flipside, there are a lot of complaints from users' reviews on Newegg about that Gigabyte board. Hard decision.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 jbarntt56

jbarntt56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:15 PM

Hi Ranch,

I went to Gigabyte's website for my mobo, it also says I need to upgrade the bios to work with AMDs FX line.  I'm going to return the mobo to Newegg, it is crazy that Gigabyte is selling AMD AM+ socket mobo's that don't support the FX-4350.  It's not exactly a brand new CPU. I will post back about my results, which will be some days.

IGNORE THE ABOVE:

On second thought, it could be the CPU, which would account for the total lack of display.  Obviously you can't update the BIOS w/o video output to the screen.  I'm kinda inclined to think I got a bum steer on the CPU.  No video output would suggest a dead CPU.  I think I'm going to order an FX CPU new from Amazon, Newegg, or Tiger first.  Seems like the most likely cause of the problem.

I'll report back after I replace the CPU.  Will be back with my report, probably upwards of a week.

Thanks,

Joel

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,495 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:03 PM

The big mistake many make is waiting too long until the return period lapses. Remember...#1 comes first (that's you). When your retailer's return time lapses, you will have to deal with the manufacturer, and for practical purposes, your rights are gone. They pretty much do what they want, and many times you get the shaft. Remember that board has a lot of unhappy users, and the common cry is, "my warranty period expired, and so...".
For example, if you get a bad board from Asus, they will exchange it for a refurbished (IOW, repaired) board, not another new one.  So you end up paying for a brand new board and receiving a used board. Fair?  Of course not. But they aren't in the business to be fair, their interest is increasing the profit line. So you can go suck eggs as far as they are concerned. And they are all the same.

#7 jbarntt56

jbarntt56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:50 PM

Hi Ranch,

I got an RMA from Newegg for the Gigabyte board, and also ordered an AMD FX-4350CPU and an ASUS M5A97 r.2 from them. If my Ebay FX-4350 turns out to be a dud, I'll use the new one from Newgg, otherwise RMA the unopened CPU back to Newgg.

The Gigabyte board is going back, no excuse for them se;ling an AM3+ mobo, stating it supports the FX cpus, when in fact they don't, out of the box. Those cpus have been out long enough, that no BIOS update should be needed, esp. since you need a non-FX AM3+ cpu to do the update, something I don't have.

I am expecting to get the new items by the end of the week, and will let you know my results.

Thanks for your advice.  I'll post back later this week.

Joel

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,495 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:01 AM

:thumbup2:

#9 jbarntt56

jbarntt56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:29 PM

Hi Ranch,

Got the new CPU and mobo. Installed the mobo, and the new CPU + stock cooler, (which looks to be better than the average stock cooler). Put the Cooler Master cooler on the shelf.  Gigabyte mobo going back to Newegg.  I've spent far more time on this build than should be needed, so I didn't bother trying the Ebay FX-4350.  Probably fine, but my frustration level had reached the point where I decided I'd eat that cost.

Everything works fine, I'm posting from my new PC ;)  The Asus M5A97 rev.2 mobo needed no BIOS tweeks to install my OS, (Mageia Linux 5, which supports UEFI, but not secure boot).  Should have spent the extra 10 bucks and gone with the Asus mobo in the begining, as I've found them to be good in the past.

Big thumbs up for the Asus M5A97 rev.2 mobo, and big thumbs down for the Gigabyte mobo.

Thanks for your help,

Joel

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,495 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:11 PM

Glad you got things up & running!  Enjoy your new unit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users