Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 partition preparation for Linux dual boot ..

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 647 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:09 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584803/linux-usb-doesnt-do-anything/page-5#entry3784452

Hello. The above is a link to an image of my HDD that another user has kindly posted on another thread. I'd post it here, but am still a little unsure of how to do this.

I am trying to install Linux Mint 17.2 on my HDD on a dual boot basis. I proceeded carefully as per the U Tube instructions posted by another member, which related to Ubuntu, and all went well to a certain point.

I did a seperate partition in W7 on my HDD as the image shows.

When I got to the Linux Mint 17.2 installer, however, I had a problem, which is detailed in the following notes from a post in that thread ..

Ok, going thru the video, step by step. Went into disk management in W7, and created an unallocated space just like the video said. As there in heaps of room on the HD (around 500,000 MB spare) the size I created was 50,000 rather than the recommended 10,000 or so. And this was rounded off by the computer to 52,428 MB. OK, all good.

Now I run the Linux Mint USB drive, and when fully loaded and on line, I go 'Install Linux Mint' and eventually, I get to Installation Type, and there are two options;

- Erase Disk and install Linux Mint

- Something else

As I don't want to erase presumably, my entire hard disk, I select 'something else' - also, that's what the video says to do.

Next a window comes up, showing all the various partitions across the top, all good - there's my 52.4GB space I created, and they are listed down the window .. but it is now shown as 'unusable'.

I click on it nonetheless, and the 'New Partition Table' button disappears - can't use it. I revert, click on any of the others, and the button doesn't disappear - it's ready to go, though of course, I didn't go further.

So what's going wrong ? I done EXACTLY as per the video instructions up to that point. Please help !

JA

PS, I just tried 'Install Now' whilst the 52.4GB space was highlighted, and got ..

No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu.

Member Al1000, who hase been helping me, has said I need to delete one of the existing partitions.

Which one, and how to do this please - presuming that that's what I got to do.

I am very non techie, so please go easy on the terminology .. though I'm persistent and ready to learn.

Thanks.

JA

Edited by hamluis, 09 August 2015 - 11:55 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Linux to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:27 AM

I've requested that this thread is moved back to the Windows 7 forum.

(EDIT: It had been moved to the Linux forum)

For anyone who may be able to help:

The problem here is that the HDD appears to already have four primary partitions, and JA wants to create another partition to install Linux on. The best course of action might be to delete one of the primary partitions, and replace it with an extended partition, so the contents of the deleted primary partition could be moved to a new logical partition, assuming that isn't going to affect Windows.

The question is, which, if any, of the primary partitions can be safely deleted? And could a logical partition be used in its place?

Hello. The above is a link to an image of my HDD that another user has kindly posted on another thread. I'd post it here, but am still a little unsure of how to do this.

Use image tags, like this:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/NLo1tkD.png[/img]
NLo1tkD.png

Edited by Al1000, 09 August 2015 - 12:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users