Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Show hidden files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:03 PM

As an administrator, I thought I was telling Windows to allow me to show hidden files for all files under a given user.  Turned out I made them hidden.

Questions...

How do I view hidden files.  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hidden-files#show-hidden-files=windows-7 doesn't seem to be correct as I do not even see the typical "Windows" start icon.

The user has done nothing, and I have all their "my docs" backed up.  Should I just remove the user (and presumably the files will be removed) and start over?

Thanks!

Edited by NotionCommotion, 08 August 2015 - 09:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:38 PM

Hi again Notion :)

There's a difference between hidden files and system files. To view hidden files, you need to check Show hidden files, folders and drives in the Folder Options. From there, if you want to see the system files you need to unchecked Hide protected operating system files (recommended). Then you'll see every files and folders on your system.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:56 PM

Hi again Aura,

Ah, the same way in the past, perfect!.

If I hid all files under /users/someone, and later make them all not-hidden, think I will wish I didn't do so as certain files maybe should be hidden?

If I delete that user, will all the files go away and will I have a clean slate?

Thanks!

#4 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:44 PM

I am sure it is not the quickest, but decided just to start over.  I will follow your advise on how to view hidden files next time!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:45 PM

I didn't understand your last question, but as long as your issue has been solved, it's fine :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:15 PM

I didn't understand your last question, but as long as your issue has been solved, it's fine :P

I hid all files under a given user.  Oops!  I could unhide them, but then is that really what I want?  Regardless, all is good now! 

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:14 AM

Oh that's what you mean. Honestly, only the AppData folder is "Hidden" under the userprofile, along with a few other files. The rest is all under the various folders in AppData.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users