Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding users without a Microsoft account

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:05 PM

Bought a Windows 8 Dell Laptop.  Downgraded it to Windows 7.  Then upgraded it to Windows 10.  My previous users were brought over.

Next did a clean Windows 10 install.

Created the first user as ROOT, and by default appears to be an administrator.  All good.

Now wish to add normal users (myself and individual family members).  Seems like I can add a family member and "other user".  When doing so, they ask for an email so I put one in.  But then when I try to log in, they ask for a Microsoft account.

How do I add users without them having a Microsoft account?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:11 PM

Hi NotionCommotion :)

Open the start menu and enter Account. From there, select Add, edit or remove other users. In the left pane, select Family & other users, then click on the Add someone else to this PC button. At the bottom, click on The person I want to add doesn't have an email address and then on Add a user without a Microsoft account on the next page. There you'll be given the option to create a local user.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:17 PM

Hi Aura,  Your awesome!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:23 PM

Thank you Notion :) You're welcome!

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:54 AM

Go into Privacy from Settings (right click on Desktop, Personalize, left arrow at top Settings, and then Privacy).  There are about 100 settings to turn off, and I'm not sure you can turn them off if you don't have a Microsoft Account.  Some of them are settings AT Microsoft and AT Bing, and to turn them off I had to use my Microsoft account.

You'll have to do this per user.  You'll also have to turn off settings in the search menu for Cortana, and in Edge, IE11, default applications, a wide variety of places.  Per user.  This time, Win10 had its horrid privacy-stealing fingers in every pie.  They call it 'telemetry', and you can't wholly turn it off unless you're in Enterprise.

Edited by brainout, 09 August 2015 - 03:56 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,414 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:36 AM

Yeah I had to do this kind of thing myself it took some digging around to do, quite annoying in my opinion

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

There's a lot of settings that also won't be enabled by default (and can't be enabled) since they require a Microsoft account (like Cortana).

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users